From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 00:12:30 -0700
Hi Ferret Friends,

After a long conversation with Dr. Bromwell today, he is forcefully and
"colorfully" expressing his frustration with correspondence coming in to
him, including messages to the Governor being forwarded to him.  Again, he
asked if I had seen the place for myself, twice I asked him if he had seen
it himself.  He said he's "had a belly full" of this and is going out to see
Robbins place in a few days.  Some of his comments re Robbins were: "goofy
bastard", "dumbest bastard", "nitwit", "yoyo".  He said all our "harping" on
this will not gain headway.  He's sending letters to all ferret fanciers in
the state of IL stating his position and lack of authority to shut Robbins
down.  He says the Dept.  of Natural Resources has to do it, they say they
only issue the license which can be done by mail....I asked WHO can shut
Robbins down and he said the dept.  of Natural Resources, but they don't
make the inspections so again it's another run around!  I've also spoken
with someone that says the Dept.  of Natural resources relies on Bromwell
for the inspections and whether or not the license should be issued.
Legally Robbins could be shut down for inhumane care of the dogs but not the
ferrets since there is no law protecting ferrets other than the Federal
Animal Welfare Act.

Troy Lynn spoke with her area APHIS rep yesterday.  She explained the
situation and he suggested each of us call the APHIS office in MD which is
the area office for Illinois.  Their number is 410-571-6248.  We explain the
conditions and the numbers of ferrets (over 200 at one time) which may
indicate that Robbins is selling to pet stores (hard to sell 200 ferrets
just to the general public) and that we request they investigate this issue
as well as the conditions the ferrets are kept in.

Unfortunately, for the ferrets, if Robbins only sells to the public they are
not covered under AWA or require a federal license.  But we need to express
our concerns that he may be selling to pet stores or animal brokers because
of the large numbers as well as the unsanitary conditions and housing.

Each of us on the mailing list needs to call.  Troy Lynn also asked about
adding a ferret specific section to the AWA.  The only way to accomplish
this is to contact our State Representatives with our concerns.  They will
then forward the letters on to APHIS.  I might suggest sending the letters
to our reps and blind cc'ing them to APHIS (this means sending a copy to
APHIS but not noting it on the letter itself).  At least they will then get
a copy if the rep doesn't send it on.  The only changes to the AWA must go
through Congress.

Our first and most important task at this point is to call APHIS in
Maryland.  Have Robbins name and address ready to give to them.  Have the
details on the conditions with you.

1.  Approx. 240-250 ferrets were in Robbins breeding facility early in
August.  On Aug. 28th, upon re-inspection by the Dept. of Agriculture
inspector there were 79 ferrets.

2.  This is the second year in a row Robbins failed his first inspection but
was given time to clean up the place for re-inspection.  At least one more
person visited his place 5 days ago and the conditions were deplorable.
Hardened feces in corners.  Stench.  Dr. Bromwell says he's been "hassleing"
Robbins since 1991 when he only had dogs.

3.  Cages are 8"WX10"L by maybe 8"H.  Two ferrets in each cage.  Smallest
ferrets are 3 to a cage.

4.  Ferrets are fed once daily.  Due to their short digestive tract they
need to have free access to food or to be fed a minimum of 4 times daily.

5.  Feces piled several inches.

6.  Extremes of heat and cold.  Insufficient ventilation.  Poor lighting.

7.  Stench is unbearable.

Robbins address:

Richard S Robbins
4340 State Route 162
Granite City, IL  62040-6409
Phone: (618)797-7828

Numerous phone calls have gone into Dr. David Bromwell, Head Veterinarian
for the IL Department of Agriculture.  Some of Dr. Bromwell's comments were:
"the place is a damn dump." "Let's be honest, the cages were rusty, they
weren't like we would expect for dogs and cats - but these are ferrets." He
noted that Robbins "had got rid of some of the fecal matter," and added
that, "there's nothing in the statute that says how much fecal matter is
allowed." The premises had failed an inspection on Thursday, August 21, said
Bromwell, because the field inspector reported, "it's a damn dump - there's
crap all over." Bromwell said the only authority he has is to enforce animal
welfare laws.  When asked for a copy of the report, Bromwell said, "No,
you'll have to get that through the Freedom of Information Act." the
conditions the ferrets are kept in, "aren't up to the standards for cats and
dogs" and he's "upset with those ferret people on the internet, they are
stretching everything".  Other telephone conversations with Bromwell have
been about the same in regards to his "frustration" with "this goofy
bastard".  He says he's had a "belly full of this", meaning requests from
interested parties to shut Robbins down.  He did indicate on 9/12/97 that he
would go out and inspect this place himself but said he does not have the
authority to shut him down.

While REAC doesn't license ferret breeders who sell to the public there
must be an agency that will enforce humane treatment of ferrets (plus
pot-bellied pigs and dogs).
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/
[log in to unmask] - probably to site administrator
Eastern Animal Care Region (includes IL)
USDA, APHIS, REAC
2568-A Riva Road, Suite 302
Annapolis, MD 21401
410-571-6248

We need to continue correspondence to Bromwell, Becky Doyle, the Governor
and the Dept.  of Natural Resources.  If someone in IL would pay Robbins a
visit to "buy" a dog, pot bellied pig or a ferret, please do so, then file
your complaint with the Madison County Humane Society.  One distressing fact
given by Bromwell today: 750,000 dogs are euthanised each year in IL!

Governor Jim Edgar
207 Statehouse
Springfield, IL 62706
217-782-0244 (Voice)
217-524-4049 (Fax)
[log in to unmask] (Email)
http://www.state.il.us/ (Website)

Becky Doyle, Director
and Dr. Bromwell, head Veterinarian
Illinois Department of Agriculture
PO Box 19281
State Fairgrounds
Springfield, IL 62794-9281
217-782-2172 (Voice)
217-785-4505 (Fax)

Department of Natural Resources is the actual licensing agency.  Bromwell
reports conditions on facilities to them with recommendations for
re-issuance of licenses.  They told me if they received enough individual,
written complaints, they would not renew Robbins' license.  No petitions.
Best to send letters in your own words.

Department of Natural resources
Division of Wildlife Resources
Attn:  Jeff VerSteeg
Lincoln Tower Plaza
524 South 2nd Street
Springfield, IL  62701
(217) 782-6384 phone

Robert Goldstein
Madison County Humane Society
P.O. Box 1
Edwardsville, IL  62025
(618)656-4405

Let's keep the faxes, calls and letters going for the ferrets!  Please send
copies of your correspondence to Mr. Goldstein with the Humane Society.

NOTE: For those of you on my mailing list who received this earlier,
Correction to phone no.  for Robert Goldstein is (618) 656-4405