Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 23:50:32 -0600
Hello my ferret family,

I am in need of your opinions and experiences RE: the max amount of
prednisone given before one starts the proglycem.  I have read that the
maximum beneficial dosage is 2 mg/kg twice a day before starting proglycem.
With my pediapred being l ml = 1 mg, that means I can safely give Fang two
ml.  twice a day.....BUT those of you I have tried to directly learn from
(God bless you) believe that even ONE ml.  twice a day is a lot, and have
told me that most people don't give their babies that much!

Fang is getting .8 1/2 ml.  (point 8 and a half) two times a day now.  His
last glucose reading came in at 86, which was two weeks ago.  While not
extremely low, the vet I am seeing locally really wants to see it climb
above 90, which I've learned from the FML, is the best thing.  But she
doesn't like to increase the pred unless we have to.  My vet in the city
who did Fang's insulinoma surgery in Feb., quotes Dr. Weiss as believing
that one can go up to THREE full mls twice a day, and tells me we have a
long way to go before starting the proglycem.  (I think the advice of
maxing out at two ml of prednisone is *sound*, and will stay with that..)
BUT, why do so many of you think that anything around ONE ml.  is really
high?  I thought we all agreed that Dr. Weiss is one to be respected and
believed in!

I am confused that no one seems to be in agreement on just how much is too
much.  I know that I am supposed to ask my vets, but even they don't agree.
I hate it that this is such a *gray area*, as I like things black and white
so I can face things, and get on with whatever I have to do.  I am very
insecure about doing anything detrimental to Fang.

The truth is that he is slowing down way more than I hoped for.  Some of
your babies on pred still play and show interest in stimulants.  (toys,
other animals, etc.) Fang sleeps most of the time, and can't go up and down
the stairs as well as he used to.  Seems to be harder for him since he has
gained weight , more than hind leg weakness (that I really don't see).
Lisette cautioned me about too much weight, as her Baby might have been
better off with less weight before she died...I have tried to cut down on
Bob's Chicken Gravy (from four to three ice cubes a day) to keep his weight
in a healthier range.

I will increase the pred, and go to the proglycem when needed, but I will
not let him suffer.  I do not understand JUST WHEN the pred is too much for
the tummy, and the side effects are not worth the dosage.  I do NOT want to
cause ulcers, and don't understand how you know when, and if, the ulcers
are starting!

I read the *Letting Go*, and I feel I can still give Fang several months
of a decent life.  He mostly sleeps, and I need to know if this is fairly
normal for a five year old with insulinoma?  Should I go ahead and not be
afraid of upping his pred dosage, even to the TWO ml suggested maximum?
Can somebody who went through this please share their experience with me?
If your ferret slept most of the time, did upping the dose increase his
awake times?  Was there a big difference in behavior after starting
proglycem?  I know it depends on the glucose reading, but if it is hovering
in the eighties, shouldn't the ferret's activity level be higher than the
*mostly sleeptime* I am seeing?

Fang is still responding to the love we give.  The only time I hear little
whimpers is when he is being moved on a full belly.  He has adjusted his
sleeping positions to accommodate his pudgy belly, but for the most part,
he seems content.  He can still go up and down the wood stairs, (about four
times a day), but with more caution, and definitely less grace.  When his
belly is full, we carry him up and down as needed.  I would like to think
his activity level has decreased due to his age, as much as to his
insulinoma.  Is this common?

Thank you for any advice you can share!
Lizzi