From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 09:03:52 -0700
Shannon,

You make a valid point about the addiction that can come with computer
use. However, I choose to look at the FML from another point of view.

This past year, I have gleaned a great deal of ferret savvy information
from the computer (FML/FHL to be specific.) The time spent on these
sites have helped me be a better Mom to my 10 ferrets and even the cat.

A particularly important event for us included a decision to change
vets. Our vet was said to be the "best ferret vet in the area."
However, through conversations, inquires and help from others on the
FML/FHL, I found myself less comfortable using his vetting services.
Two visits and an emergency surgery later, I still have my almost 8 YO
kiddo, saved by the new, "best ferret vet in town," IMHO!" Thank you
to those who helped us be confident enough to make that change.

Information shared here has stimulated me to think more on ferrety
issues, making me a better ferret care giver for my kids and the kids
at our local shelter. At times I have made it a point to pass on
specific, helpful information to others with ferrets having similar
issues - all collected on the FML/FHL. I have had some good cries, rip
roaring belly laughs and moments of frustration yelling to no one in
particular, "Good God, grow up!" There have been some serious, Awwwwws
uttered, as well as packages, words of support and encouragement sent.
The rewarding part, many of the above actions have been returned to
myself and my kids.

Each visit to the FML reminds me to help others less fortunate by
clicking on to the animal rescue site or gives me the chance to
purchase some cool stuff for my kids or family while helping other
critters. Visits here remind me we are all human, it is best to be
kind to others and what we give freely will be returned to us.

Having accomplished all that by coming to theses sites is worth a
little time away from my kids because in the long run -- they benefit.
Besides, they know how to get my attention and send their message. They
will just poop in the corner that doesn't have their pan, if I am late
cleaning it, or even toss the pellets all over theplace, their way of
saying, "We miss you!" Love comes in many forms.......

And yes, I would come clean litter pans for you, if only a few states
closer!

You can try what my Mom used to tell me to do when I was a teenager, a
millenium ago, communicating via telephone. "Set the timer." I tried
it, but it never helped back then...I set it and when it ran out, I set
it again and again and again - so what was she suggesting????

Shannon, in closing, I can only suggest you determine your priorities,
take the best of the info, leave the rest and advertise on the FML
that you need volunteers so you have more time to be on the computer
resourcing....works for me :)

Best to you and the ferts. Help rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

LJ