From:
"Michael W. Landis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 17:05:58 -0500
Greetings and happy holidays fellow FMLers,
My name is Mike Landis and I am proudly owned by two very loving and
adorable ferrets named Krysta and Maple Syrup (Mape-Mape).

After I spent six years in the Navy and was petless (single in the barracks)
I really had an itch to get my own "little buddy." I was going to school
full time and, just having gotten my first full-time job, I decided the time
was right.  I had always wanted a ferret...ever since seeing "The
Beastmaster," but especially since seeing "Kindergarden Cop." I called
around to all of the pet stores in the phone book.

The first, and only, pet store I went to had two ferrets in a small glass
aquarium with cedar chip bedding/litter/floor.  The attendant picked one
upand handed it over.  It was rather lethargic and I wanted to see the other
one that was currently jumping at the glass.  As soon as "she" (note the
quote marks) hit my hands, up the arm "she" went.  "She" started licking my
ear and giving me kisses.  This was to be my first ferret.  I bought ferret,
L'Avian ferret food, and cedar chips (Please listen to the entire story
before getting agitated ;-}).  "She" loved the trip home in my truck.

When I got home I brought everything but my newest addition inside (Saved
the best for last).  I was currently living with my parents and little
sister who, hearing the ruccus, came out of her room to check things out.
Then I brought in my ferret.  I asked her to watch "her" while I set up its
cage.  While putting cedar chips in I hear this gutteral Miiiiieeeekeeee.  I
ran dowstairs to her standing on the couch whilst my little ferret was
bouncing all over the place, mouth open...spazzing, so to speak.  Note :
this is a lot funnier in retrospect.  I told my sister in as serious a tone
as I could the "she" was playing/happy.  In truth, I was really hoping that
what I had said was actually true.

Krysta's cage sat on my bed, at the foot.  "She" slept with me and I would
sometimes awaken to watch "her" run to the foot of my bed and struggle like
the dickens to climb into "her" cage to use the restroom.  Consequently
"she" would struggle again to get out to go back to sleep next to me.

I was always worried that "she" would get into trouble so I never let "her"
go play unsupervised at all...always within a quick grab for me.  I have my
sister to thank for playing with "her" while I was away.  She was the first
one to let "her" run through the house on his own.  Everything worked out
great for "her".  "She" never got into trouble.  "She" even got along well
with my parents two dogs and my sister's dog and two cats.

I named "her" Krysta after the fairy in the movie "Fern Gully." "She" never
bit/nipped...EVER.  After having "her" for almost a year I decided to get
"her" a friend.  I wanted to bring "her" along to insure they would get
along.  After a drive af about 90 miles Krysta (note that I did not pick the
playmate...it was completely Krysta's choice) picked Maple Syrup from a
breeder.  Maple was a one year old (same age as Krysta) retired breeder
ferret that had just gotten over a case of mastitis.  The breeder also
pointed out that Krysta was not a she...she was a he, albeit a smallish he.
I did not change his name, nor will I.  Krysta and Maple got along from the
get-go.  Slept together from the first night Maple came home with me.  Play
together every day...and often even with me.

As time has gone by I have learned a tremondous amount about ferrets.  I
have read about ten books devoted completely to ferrets...some big and some
small.  Some of the best information I have gotten has come from my ~9
months on the FML (thank you so much Bill Gruber a.k.a.  BIG) I now have two
wire cages tie-wrapped together...total area is about 3 feet by 3 feet by 6
feet long.  No more cedar chips.  Yesterday's News is the litter and the
food is a mix of L'Avian, TF, Eukanuba chicken and rice, and Diamond cat
food.  I love my two ferrets more than myself and can't picture myself
without them.

Sorry to carry on, but I love to brag about my two best friends.

Mike and the ferret duet...Krysta and Maple