Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1993 23:31:05 -0400
Cynthia, regarding purina ferret chow...I was using that brand until I received
the news that my ferret, Hun-Hun was going blind because of the lack of the nut
rient taurine. Before the purina ferret chow I had been feeding him dog food an
d most dog food lack  taurine. I looked on the label of the purina ferret chow
and also discovered that it also did not have taurine, which is or should be fo
und in cat/kitten food. This is just information my vet relayed to me, I don't
know if this had anything to do with Hun-Hun's blindness, but I played it safe
than sorry. Hun-Hun died with several health problems, so when I purchased my t
wo new babies I started them on Science Diet Feline Growth. One of my male ferr
ets(both my ferrets are male), climbs like a monkey also. Everytime I think I g
ot him outsmarted, he shows me who is smarter. I still have a terrible time wit
h him climbing onto high places. I keep my ferrets in a area in my basement alo
ng with my washer and dryer. I have put boards in front of my dryer but they fi
nd ways of getting behind it. I know this is potentially dangerous so I keep
trying to deter them. About neutered males, that is what I have. I bought  them
 from a pet shop, I think they are brothers because they have similar markings.
 When I brought them home they fought like 'cats and dogs.' I guess a mixture o
f rough house playing and establishing dominance. They (their names are Teebone
 and Weezul) are  about one and one half years old, get along great. I read in
a book about ferrets that you should never have two males, but I find this a ma
tter of opinion. My ferrets definitely love each other. Good luck with your cli
mber, you'll need it.                      A Ferret Lover, Judy Gallipeau

[Judy, can you figure out some way to prevent your mailer from mangling text
like the above?  I usually try to fix things like long lines, but this
is too mangled for me to attempt.  Thanks.]