From:
Gary Merrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:11:29 -0800
Extremely cute, very healthy, female, 3 year old, black-eyed white ferret
needs a home in Northern California.  She has a complete set of vet
records, has been well taken care of, she does a wonderful "dance of
joy", and is litter trained.  Her name is Daisy, and she is free to an
appropriate home.

Before you jump at the chance, you should know that Daisy is a biter.  We
got her at about 10 weeks of age from a pet store in Nevada.  She has
never been abused, and has had an attitude problem since we got her.  My
wife, also a subscriber to this list, has solicited advice from you folks
for years.  We've tried for a long, long time to rehab her with lots of
love, patience, and appropriate discipline, but have not been successful.
So don't think Daisy is an easy nut to crack.

We have 4 ferrets, including Daisy, and the other 3 are wonderful.  The
alpha male doesn't get hassled by her too much, but the other two are
subject to her abuse on a regular basis.  I am often awakened in the
middle of the night to the sound of a screaming ferret, caused by Daisy
biting them.  Which brings me to the reason we are giving her away.  Two
of our ferrets (the ones Daisy harasses) recently had major surgery, and
will not be capable of dealing with Daisy as well as they used to.  And
to make matters worse, Daisy is now going after them with a vengeance, we
don't know why.  All I have to do is turn my head for a minute, and Daisy
will have seized one of them by the neck, and be shaking them
mercilessly.

Daisy bites humans, too.  Most of the time she's fine.  But you can tell
when she's getting ready to bite.  99% of the time it's avoidable.  You
can hold her and handle her, and as long as you can recognize the signs
of when she's going to cause problems, you'll be fine.

We believe ferrets should be able to run free for at least a portion
of the day, and the situation here is such that we must keep Daisy
permanently separated from the others.  It's not fair to her to keep her
caged all the time, and we're not going to get into rotating free roaming
schedules.  We know people on this list will try to get us to put more
time into Daisy.  But we've heard it all, and tried it all, and have
reached a point where we need to find her a new family.  I suspect Daisy
would do just fine in an environment with dominant ferrets.  Daisy is
very small, and generally backs off when she knows the other ferret won't
take her guff.  If you're interested, please send me an email.  We can
drive her to any place near the bay area, or could make arrangements to
take her further, if necessary.

Here are a couple pics of her:
http://merrick.tv/daisy

thanks for listening,