Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:11:53 -0500
Deslorelin implants replace Lupron Depot shots. The implants are
supposed to be effective from 9 to 18 months, while Lupron Depot
shots can be of the 1-month or 4-month variety. On a per-month basis,
the Deslorelin implants are much more cost effective, and from what I
have seen in my limited use of both, the Deslorelin implants are more
effective.

You would NOT use both Deslorelin and Lupron, as they work in the
same way. However, the use of a melatonin implant would complement
either Deslorelin or Lupron, as it works in a different way.

If you use a 4-month Lupron Depot shot, you would actually want to
renew it every 3-1/2 months, so that there is some overlap as the old
one fades and the new one takes a couple of weeks to kick in. From
what I have read, the Deslorelin implants really don't reach peak
effectiveness for a month or more. However, when we gave our new boy
Pop an implant, his enlarged and problematic prostate was back to
normal just 5 days later, as were his urinating habits. Less than a
month after the Deslorelin implant he's well on his way to regrowing
all lost hair, and it's coming in beautifully.

If your vet can get the Deslorelin implants, I highly recommend them,
both for effectiveness and cost. And it will stress your ferrets less
to get one implant every year or so rather than three or four Lupron
shots.

Jeff
In Memory of Trinny, Neo, Pip, and Mr. Parker
Caring for Morphy, Baby Girl, Luna, Dozer, Sabrina, Minnie Mouse, Pop,
and Possum the Million Dollar Ferret