From:
Lil Knights <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 1994 01:02:41 -0400
RE: Chris and Scooter from Bellingham and potty problems.

Hi I also live in Bellingham, Wa. and have 6 ferrets.  We also have the problem
at times of going where we don't belong.  I found that these animals are very
fussy and don't like messy boxes.  If it is too dirty mine will go right in
front of the box or find a clean corner to use.  I keep Lysol and a good
cleaner handy to clean and then disenfect.  You must get rid of the smell
they leave behind from the stool and urine or they will go back to that sopt
and use it again.   I fortunately have wood floors so I clean very well
and use the Lysol and then I found if I use pledge on the spot they don't go
back to it.  With six of the furries I have my hands full making sure the
corners all keep clean and free of potty odor.  I clean all the boxes I use
once a day.  I keep one in each room and in my bedroom I keep three cause
that is where they spend the night with me.  There is nothing like waking to
the nose nudge of a fuzzy.  Rewarding when they do good is a good idea.  Mine
also use the box faithfully when they have to be cooped up.

As to Scooter throwing up.  I had one of mine do that also and as yours did
it only once mine has not repeated it either.  Sometimes they just get into
something that they need to get rid of I believe.  The vet we use said that
it was probably some small piece of fuzz or something that he had to get
rid of.

Lil and Villa, Doc, Raven, Silva, Wolf, and Mouse (the only girl- what a way
to live - )