Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2010 12:20:52 -0400
So apparently, there are a lot of sensitive factors to consider when
dealing with the des implants. For those who dont know, des is short
for deslorelin and used by folks like me who can't spell. Thanks to
all who pointed those important factors out.

Review of what can affect the outcome of a des implant:
1. wrong implant (Ovu vs Super)
2. mishandling of drug in shipment or after arrival
3. wrong dosage used
4. expiration
5. when it is implanted (at the onset of adrenal or after its towards
   its end stages)
6. physical state, health, and individuality of the ferret
7. if the adrenal is benign or malignant
8. if the ferret is "truly" adrenal

Stephanie, very interesting about how the des implants are used over
yonder in the land of wooden shoes and windmills. In the end it seems
you've said that it's best used as preventative or at least at the
earliest onset of the disease. It's interesting to note that Lupron
injection is used by some people every spring starting at a very young
age as a preventative and many state it is most successfully used that
way. You provided us with some very useful information there.

Like I said, I've just been very lucky with the melantonin implants. I
have yet to have a ferret get adrenal who was started on them (spring
and fall) beginning before age 2. They all live very long and pass away
of other things. I have also successfully treated early onset adrenal
a few times giving my ferrets many many symptom free years. However,
I have a 2 year old that developed adrenal and my experience is that
when this happens with the boys its harder to treat. Usually surgery
is needed, then the implants to prevent the other gland from going.
Anyway, I immediately implanted him with melantonin and a few short
weeks later he was full of fur, fatter, put on an impressive among of
muscle mass, and bounced around like did when he was a kit. He's been
good to go ever since. Because of his age and my concerns, I do plan on
adding the des implant in hopes that surgery will not be needed in the
future. He's a great surgery candidate. I really want to try the new
implants (with the melantonin implants perhaps). In the end, I have
found that the key here is to use Ferrontin implants as a preventative
or at the earliest onset of adrenal. Even though it works through
completely different mechanisms than Lupron,... I see no reason why
Lupron or the Des implants wouldn't follow suite as well.

BIG ... did you not see my signature? Wolfy, "Not the Dory" (the
forgetful, flaky and goofy Ellen Degeneros fish character in Finding
Nemo). Meaning people keep thinking that I AM the Dory. Yah, okay I
admit that in my worst moments I'm a "little" flighty. Apparently when
I typed "my youngest", I meant my "youngest ferret(s)". Not my youngest
son ... or fish. At least ... I don't "think" I implanted my son. I
better go check and feel for that piece of "rice" behind his neck, huh?
But I"m NOT the Dory! And for those others that think I'm more like The
Donkey in Shrek with my constant annoying yammering ... I'm not, I am
in fact the pretty, dainty, white horse he turns into. Hmmf!

Wolfy, who is just full of woofymoments