From:
Anne Charbonneau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 18:29:38 -0400
        Victor was quite in good shape for a ferret who had an insulominas
and adrenal surgery last week.  But today he had again an hypoglycemia
crisis (salivation, weakness).  I gave him nutrical and stimulated him to
eat his c/d science diet.  He recovered rapidly...
        I was out for a big part of the day and as his bowl was quite
full of food, I think that he didn't eat since the morning (it was 5 pm
when I came back home and found him...) or only a little.  It certainly
didn't help at all to maintain the blood glucose levels.
        My questions are mostly for the vets:  when the surgery was done
last week, the vet told me that he found a metastasis in the liver who was
too big to be removed (25 % of the liver...) but the texture and color of
liver were normal, and no bleeding.  He said that the pronostic is very
poor. I think that it was the first time that my vet saw that kind of lesion
with a ferret and I don't think that he did a biopsie of the liver.  I
will have all the histo-pathologic results friday.

Dr Williams, you wrote me that liver neoplasia is a rare condition for ferret.
1) What else can it be???
2) if it's a neoplasia, what will be the symptoms that I should be aware of?
3) Can the hypoglycemia be caused by the tumor in the liver?
4) Should we put him on prednisone?
5) What else can be done?

        I don't give up but I don't want to let him suffer.  I need your
help do make the best decision for him.

        And a last question:
6) what should be the "normal" food intake/day?
Victor actually eat (with my help) 1/2 to 3/4 of a 5 1/2 ounces can of cd
science diet.

Thanks, Anne.
--

 Anne Charbonneau E-mail: [log in to unmask]    Fax: (514) 343-2233
                  Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3C 3J7