From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 00:54:43 -0500
Attention all ferret owners:
I propose that we ferret owners begin a sock exchange.  This would entail all
ferret owners bringing their mismatched socks (of course, you have no idea
where the other one went, only the ferret knows).  Out of the growing pile of
single socks, we might be able to find a few pairs.  Any single socks unable
to be match could of course be given to the ferret labor union, who would of
course be having their meeting next door.
Unfortunately there could become an ongoing problem.  If you choose to bring
your ferret(s) to the sock exchange, we would require that you bring a
mininum of three (3) socks per each ferret.  This would be to cover the
inevitable loss that always occurs when ferrets are in the vicinity.   Should
a trend be noticed, i.e. more socks disappear when certain ferrets appear,
you may be required to either (a) provide more socks when that ferret is in
attendance (b) not bring said ferret to the sock exchange, or (c)  send named
ferret to the Socks Anonymous course that would be offered.

Although my ferret has yet become a true sock thief, I began to wonder this
weekend as I did laundry.  As I pulled the socks out of the hamper, my ferret
was standing at my feet watching very closely.  I began to wonder how some
people have socks at all with either the washer, dryer, or ferret stealing
them.

If said sock exchange is beneficial to all, we might be able to pitch in with
the saved money from buying less socks, and not only offer the Socks
Anonymous course for ferrets, but also educate ferret owners to ways of
preventing and avoided sock thievery.

All ferret owners are welcome to attend.

A still socked ferret owner
  and the sock thief in training