From:
"Shelley R. Abare" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 20:11:21 -0500
This is supposed to go to the ferrethealth list.  I got my addresses
mixed up, so I'm not sure which list is which.  Hope I got the right one.
If not, oops, sorry.  [Not really.... but topical here lately.  BIG]

How would an indoor, never ever outdoor, ferret get distemper?  Is it
possible?

Ok, I have cleaned my fuzzies cage thoroughly.  Washed all bedding,
washed all ferrets, washed toys, litter pans, food dishes and everything
else anywhere near the !!!!!  cage.  That was about 10 a.m. this morning.
It is now about 8 p.m. and they REEK.  It's been going on for a few
weeks now.  No matter what I do, they cage and the ferrets have this
terrible sick baby diareha odor.  No one acts sick and no one has the
runs, although Kiki did have loose stools for about a week last month.
What could be causing this horrible odor.  And let me be clear that I
have had ferrets for almost 2 years now.  (not a new mommy, but still
have tons to learn).  This has never happened before.  Everyone's coats
are spring normal, no weight loss, good appetites etc.  Anyone ever had
this problem before?  Oh, no change in food, litter, play area, or
anything else, except that I had to leave for a month to tend to a dying
family member.  But the fuzzies stayed home with my teenage daughter who
does half the care taking usually anyway.  I am at my whits end.  I can't
stand to be in the same room with the smell.  I'm going to have to put
them in the playroom permanently if I can't figure this out.  I really
really really don't want to do that.  I love having them here in the
living room with me.  I talk to them and cuddle them all day long.  I
am afraid if I move them to the playroom it might end up being "out of
sight, out of mind" and they will be ignored.

Please, no flames on this.  I am doing the best I know how for them.  I
am asking for help.

Thanks so much, in advance.
Shelley