From:
"Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:18:56 -0500
Well, I am becoming sort of a "ferret expert" here in my community.
Recently someone I work with decided she didn't want her son's ferret living
with them anymore.  She called me and wanted to know if I wanted him.  Of
course, I couldn't let the poor fellow not have a home.  This ferret had
already escaped from her house once and went several miles away before
finding him, and I had already felt they didn't really care about him.

I took "Bandit" in.  He was as big as my Tigger.  He was a real cutey too!
Poor guy, he didn't know how to play.  When I let him out to play in the
morning he just looked at me as if to say, "I can get out and play?" He
loved my four and played with them.  He was funny too - - hissing, panting,
jumping.

I knew of another lady I work with whose daughter got a ferret for
Christmas.  This person sounded like a ferret crazy person like the rest of
us.  She wanted another ferret and wouldn't buy from a pet store (yea!)
because of the expense.  I decided to see if she would like Bandit.  She
did!  She has a big two-story cage and lots of toys and good food and lots
of love and she wanted another pal for her ferret.  She came and got him
yesterday evening.  It was the funniest thing.  Bandit got under my kitchen
cabinet and would not come out.  No way, he was not going!  My others went
under the cabinet with him as to say "Don't come out, you will have to
leave".  It took me 45 minutes to get him to come out.  I got him to come
with Ferretone.

Checked on him this morning.  He is doing fine, dooking, playing, loving his
new pal and cage mate.  I felt so guilty giving him away.  I felt like he
didn't want to go and I was doing something awful.  I know this person will
take care of him and he will have a better home than his first home but I am
still a little sad.  If he hadn't acted like he didn't want to go I wouldn't
feel so bad.  I just felt four was enough for me right now and if someone
out there wanted another and would love him, he would be okay.  I would have
kept him if he didn't have another home.

My reputation is growing - I went to get ferret food at the local feed store
(Iams) and the guy who checked me out said, "Oh, you're the ferret lady".
Geez!

Well, thought I would share my experiences and my new reputation.

Mindy in West Virginia with
     Whiskers, Tiny, Cocoa and Tigger