From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:04:21 -0500
I do NOT know if this is one that also breeds ferrets but a number of
them do (for fitch fur and with "extras" sometimes hitting the pet
market, but sadly many fur farm ferrets have no behavioral adjustments
made for home living and often need a LOT of gentle training)

The indicated origin of the infection, uncooked poultry, surprised me.
Influenza is not among the diseases I can offhand recall seeing listed
as being given to mustelids from raw foods, but I don't have time right
now to check the second edition of _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_
which is the best source of info on that topic that I have found to
date.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22362526

Full text for subscribers:
http://vdi.sagepub.com/content/24/2/388.long

BEGIN QUOTE

J Vet Diagn Invest. 2012 Mar;24(2):388-91. Epub 2011 Dec 8.

Naturally occurring Influenza A virus subtype H1N2 infection in a
Midwest United States mink (Mustela vison) ranch.

Yoon KJ, Schwartz K, Sun D, Zhang J, Hildebrandt H.

Source
Kyoung-Jin Yoon, Iowa State University, Veterinary Medicine Research
Institute, Building 1, 1802 University Boulevard, Ames, IA 50011

Abstract
Influenza A virus (FLUAV) causes acute respiratory disease in humans
and a variety of animal species. The virus tends to remain within the
species of origin; nonetheless, naturally occurring cross-species
transmission of FLUAV has been periodically documented. Multiple
cross-species transmissions of FLUAV have been reported from companion
animals and captive wild animals, neither of which is historically
considered as natural hosts of FLUAV. In the fall of 2010, mink
(Mustela vison) inhabiting a 15,000-head mink farm in the Midwest
United States experienced persistent severe respiratory distress and
nose and/or mouth bleeding. Mink losses averaged approximately 10
animals per day. Six dead mink at 6 months of age were submitted to the
Iowa State University Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory for diagnostic
investigation. Gross and microscopic examinations revealed that all 6
mink had hemorrhagic bronchointerstitial pneumonia. Hemolytic
Escherichia coli was isolated from lungs, probably accounting for
hemorrhagic pneumonia. All animals tested negative for Canine distemper
virus and Aleutian mink disease virus. Interestingly, FLUAV of H1N2
subtype, which contained the matrix gene of swine lineage, was detected
in the lungs. Serological follow-up on mink that remained in the ranch
until pelting also confirmed that the ranch had been exposed to FLUAV
of H1 subtype (δ clade). The case study suggests that FLUAV should be
included in the differential diagnosis when mink experience epidemics
of respiratory disease. Since the source of FLUAV appeared to be
uncooked turkey meat, feeding animals fully cooked ration should be
considered as a preventive measure.

END QUOTE

[addendum sent later (1)]:
I found myself just now wondering if the turkeys were known to have
been infected and this was done instead of destruction without sale, or
if the infection had not yet been spotted in the birds. Poultry with
influenza is not supposed to enter the human foodstream but somtimes
does before he infection is spotted. Also, i do not recall reading that
cooking will destroy influenza virus though it would not surprise me.

[addendum sent later (2)]:
I do not know of there are months in which poultry is most likely to
get avian influenza. If there are then it might pay t use extra caution
during those specific months. Anyone have info on that score?

I DID find this but do not have time to go through it carefully. Should
anyone here grow his or her own poultry or get it from a local source
that can be inspected by you this lists symptoms in the birds:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps032

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/