Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 19:13:55 -0400
Since ferrets are carnivores, I am curious as to why... certain ferrets
*love* odd things such as green peppers, bananas, pasta with tomato sauce,
tangerines, apples, raisins, dog biscuits, (to say nothing of rubber!)

I agree with the 'scavenger' label for dogs, since they have a very wide
appetite; but any self-respecting feline carnivore would turn their nose
down at the above mentioned ferret delicacies (except pasta).  I also agree
that when carnivores hunt they eat greens etc.  that their prey had eaten
(which is now in their stomach).  But what prey would be eating peppers and
bananas and tangerines?

I personally don't think it can be attributed just to humans indulging
ferrets' sweet teeth (though I agree you can say that about cookies,
chocolate etc.  that ferrets seem to enjoy).  But even my very un-picky dog
won't eat bananas, tangerines, peppers, etc.  Anyone have any ideas as to
why some ferrets have such varied tastes?  Are they related to fruit eating
bats?  (Okay, that was a joke, but the original Q was serious.)

    -- Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming and Merlin's mom