From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:47:01 -0400
On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Petal D. Lavallee wrote to the FML about adopting her
new ferrets, Calvin and Hobbes, from a Massachusetts shelter:

>My toes have been safe so far!  I would like to thank Lorraine at the
>Frisky Ferret Shelter in N.  Reading Ma.  for helping me pick this lively
>little pair.  If any one in the Boston, S.  New Hampshire Notrhwest CT area
>is looking for fuzzys call her she has beautiful beutiful babies that need
>homes.

Thank you, Petal, and thank all of you, who have ever adopted a ferret from
a shelter.  This is a very sad time of year in this state, as so many little
ones are left behind when owners move, and there seems to be little demand
for new and loving pets.  Ferrets don't belong it shelters.  They belong in
homes.

Please, if you are considering a ferret, learn all you can about them and
their needs over their lifetime (being on the FML is a good place to
start!), and then call a shelter for an appointment to meet the love of
your life.

Lorraine does have many sweet and rambunctious ferrets who need families of
their own.  Many are young.  Others are beautiful "on the inside" and still
full of life and play, like Fang with his broken jaw and his cagemate with
her feet mangled by a bad declaw.  Below is contact info for shelters in
Massachusetts:

        Frisky Ferret Shelter
        North Reading MA
        (978) 664-5006
        http://www.maferrets.org/shelter/frisky.shtml

        Luv of Ferrets Shelter
        Tewksbury MA
        (978) 851-7781
        http://www.maferrets.org/shelter/luvofferrets.shtml

        The Educated Ferret Shelter
        S. Hadley MA (Western MA)
        (413)  538-7108
        http://www.maferrets.org/shelter/educated.shtml

We also need more foster homes in Massachusetts to care for sick and
recovering ferrets and to rehabilitate biters.  Please contact Sharon
Burbine <[log in to unmask]> if you can help.

If you live elsewhere in New England, please email me for a list of regional
shelters.  If you live outside of New England, please visit Ferret Central
for a list: http://www.ferretcentral.org

Thank you, Petal!

-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends