From:
trina fleissner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2011 06:14:44 -0800
You may recall, last week I reposted Bandette and Axle from our Humane
Society still needed a home and I was hoping Nibbles would soon get
clearance to come be a Ryan ferret. I was getting worried about the two
ferrets and started to soften about maybe bringing them into the family
as well for Christmas -- well forever actually. When I got the call
that Nibbles could be picked up anytime, I checked the site to see if
I should load a second carrier. Happily, I can say Bandette and Axle
have gotten a forever home.

Nibbles arrived two days ago with only a portion of her tail. Even
though he came complete with a MF certificate declaring him a male
and a Silver, I will tell you in my part of the country a ferret with
this anatomical make-up is a female and this coloring is a DEW. So Mr.
Nibbles is now Ms. Nibbie. Her stitches had been overlooked and it
seemed she had this sore on her underside by her hind leg. I do not
recall that last time I was able to scoop her from the cage at the HS
for a quick once over. At 6.5 YOA I was also concerned about her BG
levels. I did manage to get my hands on a poopie sample - (well not
my hands, but I got one in a ziplock bag.) to drop at the vet for a
parasite check. New rule after an issue with coccidia from foster
friends.

Since our vet office is one of my most favorite places in the Universe,
I opted to take Nibbie in and have a good once over inside to see if
there were other issues besides stitiches needing to come out. I wanted
to be sure things were healing okay and see about this sore. I will say
I did not like the feel of this open sore, it was not in her records
and it really made me wonder even more about BG levels. So, Nibbie took
a quick trip to the back room to viist the BIG GUY and returned with
some advice. It turned out they had an opening the next day.

A quick stick and check of her BG (non fasting) on the alpha Trac at
home, revealed a score of 67. Hmmm, non fasting. We packed things up
and headed off to see the gang at the Vet office for our appt. The good
news is that the tail is healing very nicely, stitches came out without
a hitch --no parasites, well not at that end. Doc also confirmed Nibbie
is a girl ferret and not a Silver. She gave up some blood with a 2 hour
fast and scored a low, low score of 40. I am always amazed at how some
ferrets can still cruise about running on high with such low BG scores!
That's Nibbie!! Nibbie's sore has also been diagnosed as a benign tumor
of the epithelial cells with an infection. She is also the proud owner
of earmites. Oh surprise there.

The HS vet is a really wonderful gal and a good vet, but not so
knowledgeable about ferrets, so we need to discuss Nibbie's case.
Educate, educate, educate. She did offer Nibbie as a foster/hospice
ferret so vet coverage would not be of cost to me. I do appreciate that
but I am requesting a formal set of adoption papers be drawn up for my
little half-tailed friend to officially be a Ryan ferret. She will have
her tumor excised by a very talented, ferret savvy vet once we have her
infection and BG levels under control. I know how horribly insane it
can be in the clinic and shelter in general. In the overall picture
they do so much good for so many. But, as an advocate for the smaller
guys, I have a real issue leaving this little ferret to recover after
a surgery when checking a BG on a 6.5 YO ferret is not a top
consideration. Nibbie was last seen hot on the trail of one male cat
and rolling about on the floor. We have begun our countdown to fill
Nibble,s life with an much ferrety fun and love as we can in her new
home. I hope this is her best Christmas ever!

Feed rescued animals in two clicks
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3