Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 17:16:19 EST
>From:    Laura Grant <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: need additional info on atypical adrenal hair loss
>Clint's hair loss is on his belly and right side, behind the right ear,
>between the "shoulder blades", and on his toes.

In my experience as a shelter, what you described to me is almost always
the pattern of hairloss that male ferrets show when first exhibiting
symptoms of adrenal gland disease.  Of the 30 or so cases that I have
personally seen, the male ferrets that have had adrenals all start with a
spot of hairloss between the ears, then on the shoulders and on the chest.
Then typically the hair loss continues down the spine and finally to the
butt - feet/toes are usually thinning at this point.  Female ferrets have
always started around the tail then worked up the spine - and I don't
remember seeing the bald spot between the ears unless it was an advanced
case.

Is this what others are seeing - or are my (shelter and personal) ferrets
just different?

Lisa Leidig, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
http: www.ferrethaven.org
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854