Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:39:42 -0600
In my surfing travels, I have yet to find a pet insurance company that
insures ferrets up here in the Great White North.  The response over all
seems to be based on supply and demand... and frankly, none of the
insurance companies I wrote to felt that ferrets were that common.  One
of the companies explained it this way:

"In order for any insurance product to be successful, there are two
fundamental things that are necessary.  One is critical mass; and the
other is the actuarial data required to support your product.  Pet Plan
has now reached this stage with our current products and we are growing
at a rate that will enable us to continue to offer high end quality
products and extremely reasonable prices.

Unfortunately, we would not be able to do this with a new species.  You
see, there is insufficient actuarial data to support an insurance product's
structure, not just with ferrets but others like rabbits and hamsters also.
I'm not familiar with any company that offers comprehensive accident and
illness protection for ferrets although I'm aware of protection that is
available for rabbits in the UK where pet insurance has been available for
probably 25 years..

Pet Plan Canada will not likely expand its insurance line until more
sophisticated information is available and the product's benefits can be
justified to our underwriters."

This particular insurance company has an affiliate in the UK and I thought
that since they insure ferrets in the UK, as per the Pet Plan UK site, that
they would insure ferrets in Canada.  No go.

If any other canuck has found a pet insurance company that insures our
fuzzy friends, please drop me a line.  I know a few people that are at
least interested in knowing how much it will cost.

Thanks
Betty and Her Blur O'Fur
For the Love of Ferrets...