From:
"Maracich, Rosemarie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 17:04:04 -0400
To all of you who supported me in my efforts to get Ollie back - I
cannot thank you enough. Reading your heartfelt comments, words of
encouragement and advice as well as personal stories brought tears to
my eyes but kept me going at the same time. It was an extremely rough
two weeks - juggling my career, home and the hunt for my baby Ollie
took a major toll mentally, physically and emotionally, however I
wasn't about to stop until we got him back and --- WE DID!

For those who are not aware, the media got heavily involved as well
as two attorney's (we made page 6 in a major NY newspaper 5 days in
a row!) and the Ellen DeGeneres show called! Not to mention the 500+
emails the shelter received pleading for Ollie's return to his rightful
owners by friends, family and concerned animal lovers. In the end -
this is why we won him back. The young girl who adopted Ollie and cared
for him during his time away from me, seems like an extremely loving
girl who I have come to believe was driven by adult influences. She
seems to have a big heart but was told that she didn't have to give him
back... because the law is the law. Luckily her heart was big enough to
finally break down and give in.

Ollie is home safe and sound and I still can't believe how this
snowballed into the huge production it became. It truly didn't have to
come to this... and if nothing else, at least it brought attention to
the "5 day" law in NYS which states that shelters can adopt out any
animal after 5 days - whether they are "lost", abandoned, ferrell,
abused etc. I understand that shelters do not have the funds nor the
space to house so many animals and the quicker they can be adopted out
into a loving home the better for all parties involved. However, this
law needs to change when it comes to LOST animals... 5 days is not
nearly enough time sometimes for a loving owner to locate their pet! In
Ollie's case, he was brought 25 minutes away to another town. It was
pure luck, perseverance, faith and LOVE that enabled us to find him.
I personally along with friends am going to work diligently with the
senator and legislator to change this law. Attached are some photos
which appeared in NEWSDAY newspaper on Sunday!

Thank you again from the bottom of my heart... peace to all of you! xo

The photos can be viewed in the photo gallery at:
<http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liferr0309-pg,0,1383265.photogallery?index=1>

Rosemarie Maracich
Director, Special Events & Projects
Nickelodeon, Spike TV, MTVN Kids and Family
(212)258-8241 phone
(212)846-1905 fax