From:
"Kurt D. Springs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 1995 12:40:15 -0400
Hi Folks,

Kian has had diarrhea to greater ofr lesser degrees since the end of May or
the begining of June to present.  I'm getting more and more worried all the
time.  He's eating fine as much as is usual, he is still active and Mhaire
hasn't caught it.

When all this started I was afraid it was ECE.  He got dehidrated and
stopped eating.  After a week of Peptobismal liquid, and duck soup, he
started to feel better.  His stool got more solid and and lost the
florescent green slime.  (He only passed two like this.) From then to
present I've been giving him anti diarretics such as peptobismol, Kaopectate
(which he takes more willingly), and for the past two weeks Amfrol.  While
on the diarretics his stools have shape to them, but are still grainy.  If
he doesn't get it in time, his stools loose there shape.  With the Amfrol,
the grains were smaller.  THe perscription ran out, and his stools lost
shape again, so I'm going back to Kaopectate until after labor day.

We tried giving him Amoxocilion in case it was the baterial diarrhea.  It
hasn't worked either.

What can it be?  I'm playing with the idea of stress.  My ferrets have been
under more stress this summer than usual: Paddington came into our house and
Kian took a dislike to him, Paddington died, I took a field school for six
weeks and was only home on the weekends (my mother took care of them for
me), and lastly, we have a charpenter replacing our front pourch.  Since he
has to be in and out of the house, the ferrets are being confined to my
room, since he isn't used to their being around.and we don't want them to
get out.

I'm planning on getting a stool sample to my vet to check for parisites.  Is
there anything else he can check for?  What else might be causing it?  I
don't want to keep giving him medicine forever.  Is there anything else I
can do?