From:
Deena Canals <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:29:59 -0600
This is way off topic but I'm sure some of ya will understand my
frustration and some will agree with the dog pound, oh well.

We finally put my old dog down several months ago and I decided to get
another one.  I wanted one that can be trusted in the Ferret Shelter and
my husband wants a Shepard.  I've been researching Shepard rescues and have
my name at one but there aren't any close to me.  A Shepard mix puppy was
turned in at the pound.  She is a doll and currently ferret size, by the
time she gets bigger than them, they will already have convinced her she is
either a ferret or thier slave.

I went and looked at her several times, thought about it overnight, did not
make a decision in haste.  Filled out the application, answered it honestly
when they asked where will I keep the dog.  Told them outside during the
day and inside when we are home.  My application is denied and I am
prohibited from adopting a dog from them.  According to them it is against
the law in the state of Florida to keep animals outside during the day due
to the heat.  All dogs must be confined inside during the day under Florida
law.  Not, must be provided with shelter, shade, water, food and secure
fencing.  Inside or no dog period.  Told them fine, I was unaware of this
law, I could make arrangements.  Nope, once you fill out an application
there with outside on it, you are prohibited from adopting, period.  These
are the same people who refer ferrets to me, but now I am listed in thier
records as unfit to own a dog or cat.  When I told the lady at the desk
that made no sense, she than made the statement that I couldn't expect them
to adopt me a dog just so I could chain it up in my backyard where it can't
get out of the sun.  Chain?  What chain?  The applicaton asked if I had a
fence.  I said Yes, a 6' privacy fence.  Where did she get off telling me I
was going to chain this dog up.  I told them I didn't understand, the paper
and news talk all the time about the number of dogs that are destroyed
because no one will adopt them.  I was informed that destroying unwanted
animals is not really a problem unless they are really old, sick or mean.
Most pound dogs find homes.  EXCUSE ME!

The news and papers run public announcements during the summer and winter
all the time to remind people to not leave pets unattended in vehicles, to
ensure that you provide adaquate shelter, shade and water.  None of the
public service announcements have ever said inside confinement is required
by state law.  Only to be sure that your pets have someplace to retreat to
during the day and ensure they have clean fresh water.

I bought a large doghouse and it sits in the shade with a bed inside it.
Underneath my deck is left open to provide access to the cool sand under
there.  I use a five gallon pail to ensure plenty of water.  I don't leave
my dog out during the day to be abusive but because my old hound liked
chasing squirrels better than watching Oprah.  That remote control was hard
for her to use, but treeing squirrels came quite easily.  Well I'm through
ranting but I still feel jipped, I really tried to do what was right, I
guess I can go to a breeder and buy a dog with a clear conscience since the
pound has excess owners waiting for their intakes.  GRRRRRRR...... Guess
I'll go scrub ferret stains out of the corners as punishement.

Deena Canals
http://www.webabout.com/fog