Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 11:50:30 -0500
Over the last two years, I have had four adrenal ferrets come in with
increased body temperature. None have had other problems to indicate
an infection or anything like that.

The first had a slightly increased temperature. Shortly after getting
a melatonin implant, it was back to normal. The second had advanced
adrenal disease with a temperature high enough she was dehydrating
constantly. She was sub-qued once a day for five days til we could
get her in for adrenal surgery. A couple of days after surgery, her
temperature started going down. Within a week, it was back to normal.
The third came in two weeks ago malnourished, covered in fleas, blind
and with advanced adrenal disease. He's put on weight and everything
else is fine now. He's in for adrenal surgery this morning. The fourth
was one that was brought to me to check out. She was nearly hairless
with an enlarged vulva and just slightly increased body temperature.
She was older and the family didn't want to do surgery. I felt sorry
for the ferret and went ahead and gave it one of my implants. I haven't
seen her again to follow-up.

I have not read anywhere increased body temperature is associated with
adrenal disease. The two ferret vets I use and I believe this is the
only explanation for the ferrets' increased temperatures, given the
circumstances.

I'm curious if anyone else has come across this phenomenon.

Debbie,
Kindness Matters Ferret Rescue