From:
"L. Detweiler" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 31 May 1994 12:24:32 -0400
My ferrets have run of 1/2 the house, while the other is blocked with
a piece of cardboard.  Does anyone else block off areas- and how?.
A positive side-effect is that they don't dig at the carpet.  Maybe
because, unlike a closed door, there's not a gap at the bottom.  I used to
use wood, but since we trip over the divider 2 out of 3 times, it was too
painful.

Anyway, we went away for the weekend, and while gone...
Timmy got over the cardboard, routed around under the kitchen sink,
investigated behind the refrigerator, then got back over the darn thing!
He must've gotten hungry...

I used to keep them in the bedroom and kept the doorway blocked with a
piece of wood.  One time when I went away for the weekend, Timmy climbed
over the wood- but the door was closed so that put him in a small
1-yard square.  After a while he got back over.  I know he was there
because the carpet at the door was ripped up and of course he pooped.

**For those who were complaining of ferrets who won't litter train:
I thought I'd mention that it's been a couple of months since I extended
the living space of my ferrets from bedroom to bedroom/living/bathroom.
When they were in the bedroom, they sh*t EVERYWHERE.  It was
extremely frustrating.  However, now they go in only TWO places!  I hadn't
done this before because I thought they'd poop everywhere.  I'm glad I
tried it.  We are all happier now that we get to spend more time together.

I'm beginning to wonder if we should shift away from looking at this
as a litter-training problem and consider it as a sign of rebellion and
unhappiness.  What do you think?

Robin & Sam (the people)
Judy and Timmy (the ferrets)