From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:35:13 -0500
Noticed in the most recent MAF newsletter that one study being financed is
a three year one on non-surgical approaches to "reproductive efficiency"
in ferrets.  Does not give details so I'll ask Sarah about it when I get a
chance.  My suspicion is that it's a BFF study but I might be wrong, or it
might tackle reproductive aspects which affect both, so might help both
domestic ferrets and BFFs.  For those who don't know, the Morris Animal
Foundation is a 50 year old foundation which supplies funds for improving
veterinary care, with publicity done by "ambassadors" who are volunteers,
and administrative costs handled by the founding monies so that ALL of the
money contributed goes to funding the studies chosen for support.  They may
be reached at 1-303-790-2345 for questions, 1-800-243-2345 for donations,
fax 303-790-4066, 45 Inverness Drive East, Englewood, CO 80112-5480, or you
may read about MAF at its website http://www.MorrisAnimalFoundation.org .
Unless a donation is very small you CAN decree that the monies will go to
help ferrets, and a number of FML members have helped ferrets this way over
quite a number of years.

I apologize for not recalling who wrote last month or the one before asking
about what MAF studies apply to ferrets this year.  As you know, life has
been worrisome recently.  Dad's operation is tomorrow.  Steve's father had
been recovering well from his surgery, but now they are finding that he
faints for even light exercise so he was back in for more tests this
afternoon.  Saturated fat sure did a number on him.

Just realized that it's not too late in CO for me to call: one section of
the study was completed but what was tried then didn't help.  The second
part of it is now being done, and the techniques are being studied with
the hopes of helping BOTH BFFs and our guys, the domestic ferrets.

Oh, and Betty White Ludden, who is a past president is fully sponsoring a
study which will help sea otters, for those who also love other mustelids.