From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 1995 21:33:36 -0700
>My ferrets had Program once so far. Now it's time for the second dose. Dogs
>and cat will have their 3rd dose. So far, I can't really see fewer fleas.
>Maybe there would be millions visible instead of just dozens?

        I found that too when I used the Program on my cats (except we
called it Proban).  It didn't seem to do squat except maybe irritate the
fleas that were on them immediately after they were given the pill.  Oh gee,
was it effective...the fleas came after us instead.  It wasn't until I had
the whole aprtment fumigated (it was done by an ecologically friendly
company) with a substance that not only killed fleas, but sent a type of
message to the larvae to never build a pupea, so the larvae would starve to
death.  They said that we might see some fleas hatching out of pre existing
pupea, since nothing can kill those, but whatever the flea killer was, it
must have killed them instantly because we never saw another.

>I tried to rescue a *most* intractable ferret a few years ago.  This jill
>may've weighed 1.5 pounds soaking wet, but once when I tried to feed her
>without gloves on (testing the trust I'd been trying for WEEKS to build up)
>she crawled over the bowl of food and nailed my thumb with all her might and
>speed...  To make a long story short (Too late!), I finally had to have her
>put down, just to protect the rest of the household.

        I too bought a female that was hopelessly vicious.  I got her at 6
weeks and raised like all my other ferrets, with lots of love and care and
affection. By the time she was a year old, my hands were so scarred and
bloody and she was so large, that I couldn't have kept her for anything.  I
couldn't even put my hands in the cage, she would rip them open.  She tore
open my BooBoo's neck too many times to count...he became depressed and
wouldn't leave the little space behind the litterbox (in that cage).  I
didn't have the money for another cage, nor did I have any good feelings
left about her and i couldn't trust her around anyone so I had to get rid of
her.  She was never treated badly or given any reason to be this horrible,
it just seemed to be her nature.  She was a hefty silver with a war squeal
that she would utter whenever she attacked.  I was frustrated and it upset
me that any animal I raised could turn out this way.
        I sold her to someone through the paper, because in those days there
were no ferret clubs around here.  I told the guy I didn't want her back
again, so if he didn't like her he would have to figure out what to do with
her (he was experienced with ferrets and his had recently passed away).  Now
sometimes I wish I'd had her put to sleep, because it always seems a shame
that animals with that much animosity be forced to spend the next 7 years
with people, who they seem to hate.  He eventually gave her up too becasue
she was so horrible and I've never found out what happened to her.  I
shudder to think what kind of a life she must have had or is still having,
being such a nasty ferret.
        We had a similar experience with an aunt's dog...these people had
raised dogs for years and when they gave it up and bought this puppy, you
would think he would growe up as the most perfectly adjusted dog....but he
became so vicious and unmanageable, that he had to be put down to protect
the adults and children alike in the house.
        I think some animals are gentically vicious, maybe they are too
inbred or something.  I don't blame you for having the female put to sleep.
I really believe that some animals are beyond rehabilitation.  I think it's
kinder to have them euthanized then to send them out into the world, owner
after owner, probably being abused because many people will simply not be
able to cope with its bad behaviour and will try to punish it physically.

        I hope this isn't too contraversial a topic....I don't want to get
into one of these nasty disagreements that I've seen lately.  Our shelter is
a no kill facilty and we do not euthanize animals unless they are sick
beyond getting well.  We have 5 very aggressive biters in our rescue
now...they've been with us for months and will probably be there a lot
longer, because unfortuneately, nobody wants to adopt a biter.  A couple of
them appear to be getting better but there a couple who are not.  Who knows
what their futures will be???
----
Ferrets and Friends Club and Rescue e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
***these opinions are my own and do not reflect the philosophy of the FFCR,
a no-kill shelter dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
household pet***