From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:45:02 -0500
colds: ferrets get bacterial sinus infections, they get influenza, they
get pneumonia.  They do NOT get rhinoviruses (true colds).  Try steam
and be ready to get to the vet if symptoms worsen.  AVOID over the
counter meds unless your vet approves them first because poisonings
have resulted.  See past posts on this from vet pathologist, Dr. Bruce
Williams.

Dental aging:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0203&L=ferret-search&P=R27649
in the FML Archives

[Moderator's note: Also see:
http://listserv.cuny.edu/Scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind9606&L=ferret-search&P=R36483
in the FML Archives.  BIG]

>For those who don't know, you can not age kits by size since that varies
>and is mostly food dependent at young ages.

>Here is how you age kits:
>
>Average Dental eruption ages (L = Lower, U = Upper for this chart,
>C canines which are the conical teeth,
>P = premolars which are the teeth  between molars and canines,
>M = molars which are the more flattened teeth at the back of the mouth,
> number start toward the front for each type,
> 49 days = 7 weeks = , 56 days = 8 weeks, 63 days = 9 weeks,
> 70 days = 10 weeks, 77 days = 11 weeks;
> you can do the approximate month ages.)
>
> Day     Week            Teeth
>
> 50      7               UC, LC, LM1
> 53      7 and 1/2       LM1
> 60      8 and 1/2       UP2, UP3, UP4, LP2
> 67      9 and 1/2       LP3
> 74     10 and 1/2       LP4, LM2
>
>That is the only reliable way to get the approximate ages of kits.  If
>those teeth are breaking through it's the approximate age.
> (Source:  _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret_)
> [Posted in FML issue 3732]

and there are many others in the archives, too.

Heartworm meds info:
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org  (FHL Archives)
and
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/common_parasites.txt

I thought that some folks on the FML might appreciate some good news we
have: we have learned from the neurologist that i appear to be among the
lucky small minority who have cavovarus feet for only orthopedic reasons.
Later this week my braces should be done (This type will look kind of
like partial tight boots worn inside of shoes rather than being like
metal braces which are used for different types of problems.) so I'll be
steadier on my feet and more comfy, plus they might help avoid any more
displacement of the bones in my ankles and feet.  Having been born with
Z Skew "clubfeet" apparently caught up with me, but I sure appreciated
the years the therapy gave me when I would sprint, take a 5 to 10 mile
walk at the drop of a hat, etc. just for the joy of it all.  Feet are
incredibly useful, marvelous things!  Say thank you to your various
working body parts today!  LOL!

Ashling's urine is starting to have that odor my mom's got with her lung
cancer, and she is more tired these last two days, but still is playing
and two days ago did some serious vertical climbing.  So far the addition
of some Lasix has made her comfy enough that she has not indicated a need
for pain meds, but when she needs them we'll try them to see if they give
her more quality time or not (since often they do when given properly),
and respond accordingly depending on they act in her specifically.

Sherman's IBD continues to decrease with his steroid shots.  They have
proven to be a major win compared to anything else tried for him,
improving him gradually over time.  He's actually having normal stools
sometimes now and reasonable ones otherwise.  (See past posts in the FML
and FHL Archives for details.)