Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 08:06:28 -0500
Carol, I don't know that they will hurt him or not - perhaps I am not
worthy to be a ferret owner - but I had one who loved them. Sir Walter
of Raleigh was always stealing them and hiding them. I found them
months later sometimes. He probably didn't eat them all, but stashed
them. Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But, that's me.
Great toy - and cheap! Whoever finishes that bag of potatoes anyway
without losing a few?

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we

[Posted in FML 6088]

=========================================================================Date:    Mon, 8 Sep 2008 10:22:03 -0400
From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: the raw potato

Yes, it can block his stomach or intestine if the pieces are large
enough, and if he eats a green potato eye it can poison him (the
alkaloid solanine). For more on the second see:
http://www.food-info.net/uk/qa/qa-fp95.htm
and check elsewhere.

Solanine is what can kill that is also in tomato greens (and you WILL
find those covered a lot in animal poisoning refs because some pets
find those interesting enough to try chomping them, but potatoes
interest fewer pets). It's the same poison that is in the related
Deadly Nightshade.

Hmmm, I've never seen this one before but I don't have any time to read
it now to see how good or bad it is:
http://www.essortment.com/all/dangerousplants_rnph.htm

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: