From:
Kesrael Vacchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:14:48 -0400
After reading the original post about the vets who are only out to make
money, I didn't think much on it. Then I read the post in today's FML
about how not all vets are out to make money. I agree on both points.

Before I ever got my ferret over 8 years ago, I called my regular vet
to ask if they saw and knew anything about ferrets. I had no reason to
disbelieve them when they assured me that yet, they knew about about
saw ferrets. This was before I had the Internet so I didn't even know
about the FML or anything like that to come online and ask for help.
Needless to say, I learned a lot about how vets can be through the
experience with my first ferret. I no longer take anything to that
man. He's the same one who removed a mole from a dog's neck and then
proceeded to send her home with a 2-inch gaping hole saying that 'she
would be fine' and that it didn't need a dressing. Sadly, that was on
a Friday and over the weekend, the dog had major issues with the wound
and luckily someone with medical knowledge was able to use those
butterfly things to hold the wound shut until the dog could be taken
to another, different vet.

The ferret vet I have now, she is a totally different story. She's a
wonderful, wonderful woman, Ellen is. She kisses my ferrets, she's
gotten down on the floor and played with them, she listens to what I
have to say and tells me what is right/wrong about it. She's just
great! She'll tell me 'if this were my ferret I'd treat it this way...'
That really means a lot to me. I've started taking my cats and dogs to
her, as well. I couldn't tell you how many people I've told about her.
For all sorts of animals, gerbils, hamsters, you name it...

I've dealt with both ends of the spectrum on vets. And I just wanted
to add my $.02 that both of the recent posts to the FML about vets
can be right, to an extent. I guess you just have to judge it by how
comfortable you are with a specific vet. You would go to a Dr. you
were not comfortable with - it shouldn't be any different with your
pets. Also, it never hurts to come online and ask people what their
experiences have been like. ;-)

~Tammy