From:
stephanie ann maehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Feb 1996 17:38:12 -0700
Hi all!  Well, I'm just about caught up on two weeks of the FML.  Inbetween
planning a wedding and writing a master's thesis, I just haven't had the
time to read them all.  I have finally given myself a stress free day and
I'm slowly but surely catching up.  I have a few questions about my most
loved ones.  My precious little Sophie and gentle Marty had ECE about 4
months ago.  The vets tried very hard to give them both IV fluids.  Marty
was really good about it--it only took the vet one try and Marty didn't pull
it out.  Sophie, however, who is notoriously "spunky" and "feisty", would
have none of it.  They ended up trying to give her an IV in three of her
legs.  Each leg of course was shaved and although both fuzzies are doing
just fine, in fact they've gained all their weight and then some back,
Sophie's fur is growing back very slowly.  Should I be concerned--do some
ferts just grow back fur very slowly?  Sophie is very healthy--she rules the
household.  The other day she actually had 4lb Jake pinned (maybe he allowed
it :) ).

Another thing I was wondering about my ferts'is their tendancy to "chew air"
after they have a treat like duck soup or a few licks of Nutrical.  It's the
cutest thing, but why do they do it?

Just one more thing: Does anyone know how long ECE is contagious?  It's
starting to get beautiful here in NM and Sophie, Marty, and Jake always
loved taking walks in the sun and making tunnels in the grass.  I've heard
that ferrets who have had ECE can carry it and transmit it to other ferrets
up to 4 months, but I want to be absolutely sure that we won't be spreading
ECE all over.

Anyway, thanks for any advice/suggestions.  Happiness to all of you and your
wonderful fuzzy loved-ones.

Dook, dook!

Steph
Sophie, Marty, and Jake :)!!!