Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 13:43:10 EDT
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: JM from FHL: parasites
>
>Sukie Note: By the looks of things there is reason to repeat this
>again. It surely can't hurt and it really could help a lot, especially
>since a number of over the counter parasite products can kill ferrets.
>
> http://ferrethealth.org/archive/FHL353
>
> Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 18:36:42 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [ferrethealth] Fleas, ticks, and heartworm products
>
>FLEAS: There are several safe and effective flea products....
>1) Frontline...
>2) Advantage...
>3) Revolution...
>TICKS there are several safe and effective tick products....
>HEARTWORMS: there are several options for heartworm prevention too...
>
>Yes, ferrets can and do get heartworms, and heartworms are usually
>fatal in ferrets...
>
>Jerry Murray, DVM
>brought to the FML with author's permission by one of the FHL
>moderators, Sukie (not a vet)

Hi!,

I just want to say first that this is my own humble opinion; But, why
would you want to expose your babies to an insecticide/pesticide 24/7?
As if our guys don't have enough problems. These drops effect the nerve
system of pests. Don't you wonder what it would do in the long run to
ferrets? Have you read the back of the package? Hazardous to domestic
animals! Harmful if swallowed, ect, ect!! Yikes!

For fleas, give them a good bath. Lemon Joy works well. Wash bedding
once/twice a week in hot water.

Ear mites, I use 5 drops of tea tree oil, 5 drops of clove oil in 1/2
ounce of olive oil, in a small 1oz glass bottle. Shake well. ( this
came from a long time breeder friend of mine) Use for a week or more if
there is mites. And also just use every time you clean their ears. If
you still have a problem, get some drops from the Vet. At least they
aren't exposed to an insecticide for a long time. Then give them a good
bath, rinse the ears well, then make sure they are dry. Wipe out with a
dry q-tip.

As for heartworms, (I apologize if anybody's babies have had them) HAS
anybody had heartworms in their ferrets? I asked my Vet this...and she
honestly said no, she has never come across any!

Joan and 5 "good smellin' Fuzzies