From:
Susan Baker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Sep 2011 13:51:28 -0700
In the August 27 th Digest, Nancy Park wrote a message:
>I just wanted to say how much it warms my heart to see a place where
>the ill kids get the love and attention such as you give. I realize
>the shelters are over run these days and it is so difficult for them
>to keep up. The people (where ever and who ever you are) who go to the
>lengths of actually doing those every 3 hour feedings and those daily
>medications and try so hard to give quality life to those old or sick
>kids, well bless all of you.

Nancy, even though the message was written to Zoo, it touched me as
well. I also run a small ferret sanctuary, with my main focus being on
the ferrets that have been tagged "unadoptable" (cringe): ferrets that
are older, ill or have behavioral problems such as biting or being
unsocialized. I keep my limit of ferrets to a small number because
I need the time (and money) to care for them properly and give them
individualized attention.

It's not that refuse to adopt out any babies that come in to the
sanctuary. If the situation was right, I certainly would. It's just not
my focus -- at least not right now. I work with a larger rescue and
help her with the ones that need extra attention by bringing them into
foster at our sanctuary. I don't have a lot of space and time to take
on a lot of them, but there are other individuals that also do this --
and this frees up the rescue to focus on adoption and other rescue
stuff.

Unfortunately, there have been a few who have regarded what I am doing
as "not legitimate" or "taking in ferrets for pets and then claiming I
am doing rescue". I was even accused of being a hoarder. This was all
on the grounds that I am not doing a typical rescue, but am keeping the
ferrets I have in the sanctuary.

I wish those who can't wrap their brains around a ferret sanctuary vs.
a ferret rescue could walk in my shoes for a while. I work a full time
job, then go home to my second job, the ferrets. Just like a rescue, I
have the tons of laundry and daily cage-cleaning. I retrieve stolen
items and pull ferrets off the top of the cage. They "help" me clean by
standing on the potty pads I am trying to pull. I have several who need
meds twice a day, duck soup twice a day. I have one little girl with
lymphoma that often can't hold her bowels and I end up having to change
my clothes before work. I'm often late for work, which gets me in
trouble.

I don't even use the word "pet" when I speak of these guys. They are
special beings that deserve love and dignity and fun. I would not
change what I do for the world.

So. thank you, Nancy, from the very bottom of my heart. Thank you for
recognizing Zoo. In recognizing her, you have recognized me and that
means the world to me. It's those small recognitions that keep me
going.

Dooks ~n~ Dances,
Susan Baker, Owner/Director
Friskybiznus Ferret Sanctuary