From:
Cris Page <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:06:14 +0100
>From:    Faith Pollifrone <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferret bonding?
>Do ferret bond with people? I noticed something yesterday that makes me
>wonder.

Hi Faith,
I am relatively new to ferrets, its three weeks shy of a year since Bubbles
(now 2 yr old altered polecat ) took over my life (time to celerate!!).
he came from a welfare so it took time for him to learn to trust me, but
slowly a bond grew and he would often come round to me to get me to play,
or just to check out whatever I was doing (making sure I was doing it to
his liking?).

Anyhow, last November, I happened across a tiny 1 yr old albino girl 8
months old living in really disgusting conditions.  I decided to bring her
home, knowing that I COULDNT walk away and leave her living like that if it
didnt work out I would have to pass her on to someone else, and I set that
up just in case.

After bathing her (she was alive with fleas) I took her in to meet Bubbles.
He threw himself at her, and for the first time, I heard him dook, he had
always been silent with me.  They played forever that day, Bubbles showing
her all the mischief he had found, and giving her basic tuition in opening
cupboard doors (he is a skilled cracksman).

For a few days, all I had from him was that "twinkly eyed look" kinda "hey
dad its fun now I have a ferret friend too."  I wondered if I had lost
the closeness that we had, no he isnt a "snuggle ferret", but there was
definately something there between us before Skweek arrived.  I found that
now he tries to split his time between playing with Skweek, and coming
to harrass me, you see, they have a strategy, one distracts, the other
attacks, and after they have attacked thier goal successfully, and washed
my ears, I am treated to formation wardance displays as they celebrate
beating me again.

I now have the best of both worlds, Bubbles as ever is busy playing and
exploring, with occasional visits to see what I am at, and for a quick
rough and tumble with me before he bouces off to get into more mischief,
Skweek has the "snuggle bug" and comes to me for the stuff that isnt really
in Bubbles nature.  I guess my experience is that having abother ferrets
around allowed Bubbles to develop another side of his personality (he is
kinda big brother to Skweek), and allowed him to have a fuller life as a
ferret.  I dont feel I lost any of the Closeness, I understand that he
will make some quality time for me out of his busy ferret day, and Bubbles
confirmed he is really attached to Skweek when she had spay surgery
recently, he went crazy trying to get to her during the couple of days I
kept them in adjoining housing while her scar started to heal

I would say "go for it" from experience I can say, 2 wacky weezil wardances
are even better than one :o)  Itworked out well for me, just be sure that
your ferret "likes" the new addition, like any sentient creature, "personal
dislike" can get in the way of a harmonious household.  I dont know about
the walking thing yet... Now Skweek is uptodate on surgery and shots we
are just waiting for some reasonable weather... should be fun!

By the way, last week math struck again as I finally persuaded the people
who had Skweek to part with the last 2 they had, 2 identical twin sisters,
so now I am up to 4.  Officially they are for my S.O.  But..... you know
how it is... any excuse :o) Bubbles is really "full of himself" now .....
He IS da bossman!  lol

Take care..

Cris Page, Bubbles, Skweek, Rhubarb & Custard.  (da west coast weezilz -
aka the Furkid 4)