From:
Laura L'Heureux Kupkee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 1994 13:25:05 CST
Mike and Yuki,

        I think I'm going to let the Drs. address this one since you've asked
so much about specific drugs, but my $.02 is that ultrasound is great, but
really a totally unnecessary expense.  As Dr. Williams says in the FAQ,
clinical signs are diagnostic.  Hormone tests usually aren't, since ferret
adrenals tend to produce an estrogen-like compound instead of cortisol.

        The brown tooth -- it's definitely a risk, but if you don't feel you
can spend the money on it, just keep a very close eye on it.  Extraction is
always an option -- much less expensive than root canal, and takes away the
risk of infection.  The swelling could have been something else, but if this
has only happened recently and you've just stopped giving the antibiotic, it
wouldn't be too unusual for there to be an infected tooth root and the
swelling has just gone down because of the antibiotic -- if it is the tooth,
it will likely come back.

Laura

Laura L'Heureux
U. of Illinois Vet Med Class of `96