From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:00:28 EST
I know that when one refers to a ferret as an "alpha" the term is meant
differently than say an afpha in a wolf pack.  The behavior and jobs are
different.  An alpha ferret often is a bit alone from the pack, is
watchful, is a leader in behaviors (ever notice that when your alpha is
hyper they all get hyper and vice versa).  I have tried not to compare
my ferrets to other animals and social behaviors but its hard not to
sometimes.

I have noticed the following in my group:

1) we have a beta
2) we have an omega
3) in between each ferret seems to have their own job much of the time

Our beta is a male.  He is connected to the hip to his brother (real
brother) the alpha, except when the alpha is doing all his duties
(watching over everyone, leading behavior, smelling around to lead the
way, etc).  Our beta, although a male, is very very maternal.  He acts
like everyones mother.  He is the "calming" factor in our group.  Thats
what his job is....to calm everyone, and to mother them.

We have an Omega, unfortunately.  I have never seen this before.  This
is a ferret whom is on the bottom wrung of the ladder.  The very bottom
wrung.  He is the one that when ferrets tossle they like to beat on him
(in fun so to speak).  He is the one that when one of the ferrets is mad
they go to take it out on him so to speak.  This ferret walks around very
cautiously in a way... making sure he "follows the rules" and stays out
of other ferrets ways.  Don't get me wrong, he is happy.  How?  I have no
idea, I can't tell you how, but I can tell he is happy.  He is more people
oriented anyway and gets much of our attention.  He prefers to be with all
the ferrets rather than being alone despite things.

Anyway I was wondering what you all have observed in ferret behavior and
if you've ever noticed what I have in multible ferret households.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/
for information on ferret deafness: