From:
Lois Caselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 08:10:55 -0500
This has been my experience with descented and non descented ferrets.

If a ferret isn't descented he smells no different than one that has been
EXCEPT when he poofs.  Even then it's no worse than a person passing gas.
It clears quickly.

The only time we have had any come in here and have a strong odor was
when they weren't neutered or their diet made them smell strong.

I also found that when they kept their scent glands that others weren't
as anxious to keep beating them up LOL.

I happen to love the smell of ferrets and when someone tells me that
ferrets stink I think they have a sensitive nose.  My mother-in-law has
one of these noses.  She has a VERY sensitive nose!  She can come in the
front door and tell you that a cat pee'd in your room (clear at the other
end of the house) 3 days ago and that you cleaned it with bleach and
water.

She is 87 and the first time she held a ferret was last summer.  She held
my Wolfie the whole time she was here.  He lay curled up on her lap which
is unusual, so he really liked her.  Anyway, the only comment we got from
her was they sure didn't smell like a cat or dog lol, but she now always
asks how Wolfie is doing and has a connection with him.  She'll say they
don't stink, but they smell funny.  Yep, she cracks me up.

Lois
Missing 8
Hugging 16