From:
Gabrielle Lastname <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:54:14 -0500
Some of you have known Mishka, my huge, beautiful 7 1/2 y.o.  DEW -- I
took him this morning to have him helped to the bridge.  This was a very
difficult decision, because I don't think he was in a great deal of pain.
The big factor for me was that over the past few days, he just seemed to
be existing, not having any kind of quality of life.  He would only wake
up to go potty, and sometimes on his way back to bed, he'd stop and look
at a toy or an object, then literally 30 seconds later (i counted a few
times), he'd just put his head down and go to sleep right there on the
floor.  It just broke my heart to watch.

It might have been possible to keep him going for a few more weeks with
medication adjustments, but he just seemed so tired.  He had been sick
for a very long time with insulinoma, his liver was involved with his
adrenal tumor, and he was steadily losing control of his back end.  All
he wanted to do was to lie under the bed in the nice cool dark and sleep.
He didn't want to be petted or held or anything else.  I think he just
wanted some peace.

So I made the decision to spare him the last few weeks of that existence.
No more hated shots, no more icky medicine, no more nausea, no more
struggling to walk, no more crying when he went potty.  Just breathing
some gas, then waking up on the other side, out of that worn-out body.

Mishka devoted his life to being my friend and companion.  I am so sorry
that our time on earth couldn't have been longer, that I couldn't have
given him more.  He was a champagne ferret, all the way.

I'll see you soon, little mouse.  Until then, you have a blast up there!

Melissa
Spring and Brenna
Tasha, Nookie, Bailey, Buttons, and now Mishka, at the Bridge