From:
Tricia Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 04:44:07 -0400
Margarette,
We recently moved from the St. Louis Area.  We had difficulty finding anyone
to watch our babies while we were away on Vacation.... but here are a few
options that you might be interested in.

First off there is a woman in St.  Louis that watches ferrets.  I have never
personally used here but I guess in an emergency.... I may have.  I spoke to
her on the phone and she uses her own cages and has a ferret play room.  The
problem was the convenience of checking her out before I needed her.  I
found her in the phone book... "Jans" I believe.  Anyway that may be too far
for you to go ... "St.  Louis".

We also checked into pet sitters.  Look in the phone book under sitters.  We
were in contact with quite a few companies who pet sit ferrets and would be
willing to come in your home to see the fuzzy routine... before you required
their services.  (This option may be easier in your situation.)

And lastly, we used the local boarders.  They weren't super versed in ferret
care.... but I typed 6 pages of ferret info for them.  I made sure exactly
the type of care they would recieve (grilled them many times over on the
daily routine), and actually they were astounded at all the work... cage,
food, info, blankets, ect.... we provided them with.  Unfortunately their
last experience with ferret boarding was someone with a ferret in a bookbag
who handed it over at the counter and they caged it next to the cats and fed
it a regular cat diet.

I realize there is a cost with each of these options, but each seemed quite
reasonable.  We only pd $5 each a day for the fuzzies and it was quite
convenient because we also left the dog there.

Unfortunately now in my situation (living in Switzerland where there are
virtually FEW, less then 100 ferrets in the entire country) I am having the
same challenges finding someone to watch the babies when I travel back to
the states.

We would gladly take them back with us for the visit, but the airlines (if
anyone has flown with their babies knows...) is ridiculous at either not
flying the fuzzies at all... or making them ride in the back like cargo
(which I feel is dangerous to their well-being)

Does anyone travel with their babies?

I would love to know what your travel experiences have been.

Curious
Diva
ps- here's some of the info I provided the Boarders with.

FERRET TIPS TO MAKE US HAPPY!!!
PLEASE READ IN ENTIRETY BEFORE HANDLING US...THANK YOU

HARNESS/ LEASH  Rickie...blue collar, harness, leash
                Pebbles...purple collar, red harness, leash
                Spaz...green collar, harness, leash

RICKIE
I was the first fuzzy.
I received 100% of my parents attention for the first 4 months of my life.
Being the oldest, I am the wisest and calmest in the family.
I love to play chase with my owners.
I get quite scrappy while bouncing all over the place.
I may show my teeth when I am excited but I have NEVER nipped any human!
I love to play rough with my brother Spaz and sister Pebbles.

Quote           "Admit it, I'm Perfect!!!"

PEBBLES
I'm the second fuzzy in the family.
I am very attached to my brother Rickiee.
I am quite prissy.
I think everything I do is cute.
(Even when I play in the litter pan)
I love to play with Rickie and Spaz.
Unfortunately, sometimes they play really rough.
During rough play, I whine for sympathy....Don't worry, they're really not
hurting me.

Quote           "Don't hate me cuz I'm sexy!"

SPAZ
I'm the third fuzzy and the youngest.
I am quite different from my brother and sister.
My name is very befitting of my personality.
I Spaz out at the slightest noise or movement.
(Usually I scatter under the nearest piece of furniture.)
I love to play with my brother and sister.
Me and Rickie wrestle often.
(I whine like my sister Pebbles, but Rickie never really hurts me.)
I like to play with my owners, but I play very rough.
I haven't figured out they aren't ferrets yet.
I nip my owners when I play.
I NEVER mean to hurt anyone...but it's difficult for me to understand I
shouldn't.
My owners think I'm missing a few brain cells, but they love me anyway.

Quote      "I'm not a brain, and I play rough...Beware I can be a BRUT!"