From:
Alicia Weiland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 20:25:19 -0500
I've posted here before but my husband and I recently moved to another state
so I have been without internet access since June...I'm still catching up on
everything I missed.  I am not sure if I had the chance to post that our
first human child was born on May 24.  We named her Tasia Bryan.  Fidgit
(whom I've posted about before) seems to have adjusted to having her around.
When we were moving he went to our new home (with my parents temporarily)
one week before we were to arrive.  My younger brother has a ferret so he
was allowed to play with her.  When we arrived I never saw a creature
happier to see us.  Of course Fidgit was our only baby and badly spoiled, so
he was happy to get his trained humans back.  Fidgit has been fighting an
ongoing bout of earmites.  We have another vet appt.  this Tues.  We had
previously been treating it with Tresderm but it doesn't seem to have done
the job.

On Father's Day my husband and I let ferret math strike us and we brought
home 2 more ferrets.  They came from a family that had to move to Hawaii
and the ferrets couldn't move with them.  Ferrial is a 2yo female dark eyed
white.  I've never met a more cuddly ferret, she will sit on my lap for 45
mintues some days, she always asks to be picked up as well.  I am pretty
sure she is deaf, as she doesn't usually respond to the cage door opening
until I touch her then she gets excited, plus she just doesn't respond the
same as the others.  She loves socks and is almost 85% accurate with the
litter box outside the cage.  She loves to kiss and is very gentle, she is
quickly becoming my favorite.

Charmaine is a 1.5yo MF female sable.  She has a cute little trick, she will
jump in the air to attempt to grab a little pink ball, she loves to chase it
as well.  She is 100% litterbox trained outside and inside her cage.
Charmaine quickly learned how to climb things to reach our chinchilla cage,
she loves to perch atop it and tease the chinchilla, we are working on
detouring the behavior even though the chinchilla doesn't seem to mind.
Charmaine is the bully, it is funny to watch her bully our male Fidgit who
is at least two times her size.

I would like to one day let them all live in one cage, but we are still
letting them get used to each other for the time being.  Fidgit seems to
talk a lot more, he is always running around dooking.  Ferrial is also vocal
but only when picked on by one of the other ferrets or if something startles
her.  Ferrial is quite smaller then the others.

*****************QUESTION?**************
I do have a couple questions.  First off Ferial seems to have developed the
want to dig at my ankles.  She doesn't nip or attempt to bite, rarely even
licks.  She will just come up to me and start digging on my ankles...anyone
have an idea why?

Also she seems a little underweight to me.  I think I may take her along
and have her weighed to see what she weighs.  I'm not sure if she is just
smaller and looks underweight since the rest have some tummies on them.
What types of things can I feed her to have her gain weight?  CUrrently she
is on a mixture of kitten chow ( i know it's not the best, but that is what
the other people fed them) and I have started adding Iams kitten.  They also
get ferretone or ferretvite and a fruit mixture made for ferrets.  How fast
can I get rid of the kitten chow?

Anyone heard of a ferret food that contains bits of bananas in it?  I forget
the name but while buying harnesses for the girls today I saw the food and
it caught my eye.  Just wondered if anyone tried it and how the fuzzies seem
to like it.

any advice welcome,
Skot, Alicia, Tasia and Fidgit, Ferrial and Charmaine  :*)~