From:
Dee McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 10:57:59 -0800
Hi all,

I just had to comment about the post on placing ads in the newspaper about
found ferrets.  Be careful that you do not get away from the main purpose:
FREEING FERRETS!!!  In the end, you may do more harm than good.

Let me explain:

I live in Carbondale, IL: home of the Halloween party.  Every year, for far
too many years for me to count, at Halloween students and residents a like
gathered on a street, the Strip, and partied.  They came in costumes, some
of them, and thousands of people marched and partied.  Windows of business
and also property was broken or destroyed.

Several years ago, the city started trying to stop the violence that had
become rapidly increasing.  The students became infuriated.  They have since
lost sight of the meaning of the party: to gather and have fun.

This past weekend 300 people (not all students) gathered and destroyed
property.  They seem to be outraged that they were maced by the police, who
were trying to stop the destruction.  They have lost sight that gathering is
one thing, destroying is another.

My point is this: The main objective is to free the ferrets.  Don't get so
set on destroying the DFG that you lose sight of that.

I realize living in Illinois that I probably don't have much right to say
anything, but I just want all of you to know that I not only support you but
will gladly stand beside you.

Just my .02!

Dee