From:
Mary Conley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:35:27 EDT
Someone wrote:
>know ferrets aren't the same as humans...but..I was wondering if there
>are any antioxidants marketed for ferrets.  Cancer is cancer and free
>radicals occur in all animals...so maybe there's something like our
>Vitamin E that ferrets can have that might give them a better chance.

Ok ya'll, I'll try to do a short post on antioxidants for those who
aren't sure about them.  Antioxidants protect our bodies from the
formation of free radicals.  Free radicals are atoms or groups of atoms
that can do damage to our cells, impairing our immune systems.  This can
lead to infections and various degenerative diseases.  There are 3 known
free radicals: the superoxide, the hydroxyl, and peroxide.  They may be
formed by exposure to radiation and toxic chemicals, overexposure to the
sun's rays, or through the action of metabolic processes, such as the use
of stored fat molecules for energy.

I am still looking for the right combination of herbs to safely boost
ferrets' immunity.

Free radical scavengers which can neutralize these free radicals include
the following:

Vitamin A (Beta carotene) (fish & liver oils; animal livers; green &
yellow fruits and veggies)

Vitamin C - reduces lipid production in the brain and spinal cord, which
frequently incur free rad damage, (Ascorbic acid, sold as a powder).
Found in (green veggies, berries, and citrus fruits.  (Best taken with
rosehips which are full of their own vitamin C).

Vitamin E - prevents fat cell membrane rancidity and protects the coating
around each cell.  Improves oxygen utilization and enhances immune
response.  Found in: cold pressed vegetable oils (I only use olive oil),
whole grains, dark green leafy veggies, brown rice, oatmeal, and wheat
germ.

Other good foods include grapes and raisins, evening primrose oil, or a
blossom a day; borage oil; barley grass, and wheatgrass.

So there are plenty of things above to choose from.  I would make it a
very simple formula, and then maybe switch it every 3 months or so.
Remember with the winter coming (such as it may be), the need to boost
immunity is strong.

A quick word about oils.  All oils can be carcinogenic if used at
temperatures needed for cooking, such as frying.  Olive oil is not
carcinogenic, so we have always used that here.  The recommendation is
to use "first cold pressed" as the safest to cook with.  In the oils I
make here I always use the olive oil.  It also does not get rancid as
other oils can do.

Hope this helps.

Warmly ~
Mary