From:
"Donahue, Suzanna C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 08:46:53 -0400
Zinc just had her blood tests.  It was one month ago that she had her
surgery which removed her last remaining (right) adrenal and a large
tumor on her pancreas.  She had presented with low BG so we originally
expected only insulinoma.

The right adrenal had impinged on the vena cava and the vessel is now
narrow in that particular area.  She ahd to stay at the vet's office for
5 days because of this complication.  The tumor on the pancreas did not
look like an insulinoma according to the vet.  The vet indicated to me
that the low blood glucose levels may have been the result of all the
other stuff going on with her since no insulinoma was found.  The lab
pathology report found nothing abnormal with the tissue (????).  The vet
requested the lab recut and check again.  I have not heard back yet as
to the results.

Now on to the blood test results.  We were concerned about the low BG she
had prior to surgery, as well as the electrolyte levels/ratio.  She was
given a percorten injection immediately after the surgery, so I expected
it would have worn out by now.  Her results were:

Glu  59 mg/dL
BUN  27 mg/dL
Na  134 mmol/L
K     3.3mmol/L
Cl  130 mmol/L
Hct  22 %PCV
Hb*   7 g/dL

This leaves her ratio at 40:1.  Her blood glucose is low.  She had eaten
5 hours prior.  My local vet was also concerned about the low red blood
cell count.  These results were unnerving and upsetting.  Why isn't her
BG up???  Why isn't her ratio lower?

I'm angry because I believe I've done everything right and it seems not
to have made a difference.  Does this mean that not all the adrenal
tissue is out???  Should put her back on the operating table.  Normally,
I don't hesitate to have surgery, but the last surgery was so complicated
and difficult that I worry about the stress on her body.

I'm still waiting to hear my vet's opinion on the results.  Meanwhile,
I'm asking for your input.

So much thanks,
Suzanna Donahue