From:
Lori Zuccaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:30:58 EST
Beaumont, TX (a ferret free zone) cited a lady for having 5 ferrets.  She
took them to court and won.  The animal control code here says that you
cannot own a wild animal.  The animal control director defines ferrets as
wild.  They do not specifically list ferrets as being illegal.  The court
determined that ferrets are not wild and therefore can be kept in Beaumont.
However, this was the ruling on this one case.  The animal control director
is still being stubborn.  We are pushing through with this now since the
case just happened and is in favor of ferrets.  I think we will be
successful because we have many people that seem to be on our side.  I'll
keep you posted on the events that occur.  My goal is to have Beaumont
specifically list ferrets as being domestic in the animal control codes.
Therefore allieviating future problems.  I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Lori Goats
Ferret Haven, Pt. Neches, TX 77651