From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 18:55:45 -0400
A number of threads to respond to.  First, and perhaps most important, is
the paper I mentioned a week or so ago about a viral cause for lymphosarcoma
in ferrets.  I copied the paper at the library and gone over it, and it's a
good piece of research.  Even though it's one paper, it's got me convinced
that at least a certain percentage of lymphoma in ferrets is likely to be
caused by a virus.  The paper is by Susan Erdman and her colleagues at MIT,
Cambridge, Mass.

The citation is: Erdman SE et al. Transmission of a chronic
lymphoproliferative syndrome in ferrets.  Laboratory Investigation
1995;72:539-46.

The researcher isolated a retrovirus, which is the same type of virus that
causes AIDS in humans (Note: *not* THE same virus...same family, that's
all).  For those who know biology pretty well, they found elevated levels of
reverse transcriptase (only found in retroviruses) and have electron
micrographs of the viruses budding from cells.  Pretty solid evidence.  What
they have NOT done is to sequence the virus to determine whether this is a
version of the mink retrovirus or something else.

If this retrovirus causes most or even some lymphomas in ferrets, the
important question becomes, "How does it get transmitted?" Unlike
coronaviruses (the leading culprit in cases of ECE), retroviruses do *not*
survive long outside the body or on surfaces.  Transmission is almost
always via blood.  There are several possible ways the virus could be
transmitted:
--From mother to kit through the placenta;
--Sexually, in which case you'd expect to see more females with lymphoma
  than males;
--Through saliva during bites (possible, but not likely as retroviruses are
  poorly transmitted through saliva, which contains inhibitors); or
--Via vaccines, through contaminated cell lines.

I'm going to try to find an email address for Dr. Erdman and pursue some of
these.  I may also try to reach United Vaccines and ask them if they screen
Ferrvac for retroviruses.  Anyone have the number for Solvay so the same
question can be asked about Galaxy?

Stay tuned.  This could have serious implications depending on how common
this virus is and how it is transmitted.  (Vaccine transmission would be the
easiest to correct...sexual transmission, however, could have disastrous
implications for breeders.  Let's not speculate too much yet until the virus
is identified.)

On another viral topic, someone asked what was the difference between canine
and feline distemper.  Well, *huge* difference.  Canine distemper is a
morbillivirus, somewhat related to measles in humans.  It uses RNA to store
its genetic information.  Feline distemper is a type of parvovirus,
distantly related to Fifth's disease in humans (the "slapped face" rash).
That virus uses DNA for its genetic instructions.  The two viruses are
*vastly* different.  They just happen to both be called distemper.  The same
situation is true of the five-known hepatitis viruses.  They all infect the
liver, but only two of the five are related viruses, the others are
different.

Tetsuro Oka asked about the vaccine results he posted in FML#1720.  First of
all, the company is testing a multi-virus dog vaccine on ferrets.  Second,
of the four viruses the vaccine contained, the results were inconclusive for
canine distemper--the only one you absolutely want your ferret protected
from.  Third, three vaccine animals and one control is statistically
irrelevant.  Conclusion: This vaccine may not protect against distemper,
contains vaccine components your ferret does *not* need to be protected
against (this increases the risk for an adverse vaccine reaction) and the
sample size is too small to make inferences from.  The research is far too
preliminary to risk vaccinating any ferret with this stuff.  Tell them to
get lost or to redo the work but don't vaccinate your ferret with this!

Bill Killian commented that he doesn't think the benefit of microchips is
justified given how many shelters use the technology.  Well, I've had my
ferrets "chipped." I have made a point of asking the local shelter whether
they scan strays *other* than dogs and cats for microchips and they've told
me they will.  Whether they were just placating me, I can't tell, but if my
guys were ever to escape, I'd call the shelter and tell them if any ferrets
were turned in to scan them for their chips.  Here in NC, strays are
routinely euthanized because they are presumed to have been exposed to
rabies, the only way to ensure their survival if found by the shelter is to
prove that the ferret has been vaccinated and prove that the ferret on the
rabies certificate is definately *my* ferret.  In that setting, it's worth
the expense to me.  Just my $.02.

Finally, growing up in Ohio, I know people who actually have gone
cow-tipping.  I never did because it's dangerous.  Sometimes the cow wakes
up right away (or isn't really sleep) and gets ticked off.  You do *not*
want a 600+ lb.  animal chasing you in a dark pasture mined with meadow
muffins.  You only do this to bulls if you have a death wish :)

--Jeff Johnston ([log in to unmask])