From:
Carl G Grunbichler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 20:05:51 PST
Hi all.  We recently read the letters posted on FML regarding caged ferrets.
We are by no means imposing our feeling and our letter is merely our
opinion.  Every situation has to be considered individually.

Our oldest ferret, Cleo(15 months) hates her cage as does her younger sister
Zoey(11 weeks old).  At 8 weeks of age Cleo figured how to let herself out
of her cage.  Every time we put her into her cage, she would try to get out
before we get our hands out.  If we put a clothes peg on the door to prevent
her escape, she becomes very frustrated and runs around furiously.  Once out
she will run and hide.  As a result we NEVER put her into her cage.  Her
door is always open for both of them to travel as they please.

A short while ago I made a "house" out of one large cardboard box with many
small boxes inside making a double-story house with many rooms.  Cleo loves
this house as does Zoey.  Their cage and house are both kept in our walk-in
closet in our bedroom, the door of which is left open.  They can roam
freely.  However at night we close our bedroom door and have to put
newspapers under the door to stop them from slipping underneath.  The only
reason we dont let them into the rest of our apt.  at night is because the
tend to claw the couch trying to get into it.  The only access the have at
night is our BR and the Bathroom.  None of our Fuzzies are EVER allowed into
the kitchen as there are too many dangerous areas there such as fans behind
the fridge.  When we go out, our ferrets are confined to the BR and bathroom
again.  I think that this is the best way for them.  Both Cleo and Zoey
sleep in their house day and night so we always know where they are.  We
also always know where our TV/VCR remotes are!!!  We contacted our office
and told them NOT to fumigate etc.  We will do that ourselves should it
become neccessary.  This would limit the possibility of escape into the open
world.  Only once did we have a roach which Cleo devoured before we could
stop her.  Sometimes at night Cleo comes to sleep on our bed with us however
Zoey does not do that yet.  The only problem is that at about 3 am the 2 of
them start playing on our bed, waking us up.

Closing note: They get to run, play, sleep, poop, eat, explore whenever and
wherever they please - within the safety limits.  They have Love, freedom,
food and toys all that make up 2 VERY happy Fuzzies.

As I said these are our choices and every situation may differ.

Yours sincerely
Carl, Lauren, Cleo and Zoey