From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 23:44:20 -0500
>From:    Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Skinny Poops

Skinny poops many times means there is a partial blockage.  I highly
recommend that you monitor food intake and output, and treat with Laxitone
daily until there is a change.  Dissect poops - they may look innocent
enough in brown, but inside may be a surprise.  Just put poop in warm water
and pick apart with a toothpick after soaking.

***  Litter by brand
>From:    Cheryl Lovett <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: litter and other things

The two brands I recommend are Pine Fresh and Nature's Way Feline Pine.
These are pine pellet litters (all the oils have been processed out) and are
biodegradable and flushable.

***   canned cat food
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fancy Feast Cat Food

There is nothing wrong with giving canned cat food to ferrets as a treat if
(1) they will eat it, and (2) it makes up part of the treat (10%) part of
their diet.  Some ferrets LIKE the taste of fish - it is just not the
preferred protein source for our pet mustilids.  Watch for smellier stools.

***   Sick UK ferret
>From:    n <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help - Very sick ferret!

Has there been blood work done?  Have you checked the glucose levels?  Diet
change could have brought on a insulinoma attack.

***  possible accidental breeding
>Part of the reasoning here is that Crystal is easily stressed, and we chose
>to that the least stressful approach

And you think her giving birth, mothering if she has never done it before,
and raising kits isn't stressful?  The spay would be the easier way to go...

***   Deaf ferret
>From:    Dade Sures <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Math

Deaf ferrets need to be brought aware of your approach before being touched.
If a deaf ferret is sleeping or busy doing something and does not notice
you, then you need to slap the floor, blow on them, or bang the cage a bit
to send vibrations to the ferret since they can not hear your voice (same
thing with a blind ferret - they need to feel the vibration or your breath
before being startled).

You can also teach your ferret commands by sign language.  Just make sure
each "sign" is distinct.  Shaking a finger can mean NO, holding the hand
palm down can mean "pick up time", holding the hand palm up may mean "treat"
or "come here", making a fist can mean "roll over" - whatever - you train
them to respond.  You can get hearing ferrets to do this too.

Pam Grant