From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:38:47 -0400
Lisa, then Mel wrote:
>>I think disqualification is a little harsh for genetic malformations and
>>genetic problems - the owners may be unaware (first time show folks) and
>>the standards for judging should be in place for not rewarding bad
>>ribcages, crooked/malformed noses and jaws, etc.

>I don't think there's anything harsh about listing standards of health
>for show ferrets.  If the owners are unaware that their ferret doesn't
>conform, or has a serious fault, then bringing them to the ring will tell
>them as such.  There's no need to be nice about it.

I think that when there are possible disqualifications if there is a vet
present, then the vet should be asked for her/his opinion by the judges,
then the people should kindly be told why the ferrets are being
disqualified so that they can improve care and/or cull some breeding lines.
If a vet is not present then the people should be asked to seek further
advice with others whose expertise can help the ferrets, and to consider
things like diet, genetics, and living conditions as possible culprits.  I
am actually afraid that if the malformed ones or handicapped ones are not
disqualified from standard competitions that the people will be more more
likely continue behaviors which ultimately hurt ferrets: breeding to
increase the rate of handicaps which has already happened, or trying to
promote their lines when the end result will hurt ferrets just as dogs,
cats, and horses have been hurt by some show trends, etc..  I do think
that such ferrets should be able to enter the handicapped competitions,
but in case anyone is prone to misusing ribbons for sales of kits (as has
happened in the past) perhaps what such winners are called should be
something different from the normal "first-place" or "blue ribbon".  It
seems to me that ALL shows should be trying to improve health; also think
that fun-fests should, too, but in their own ways which are better suited
to their format.  Does that make sense?