From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 14:42:26 EST
I'm very tired from the Symposium, so forgive me if this is a bit
disjointed. :)

- ADV means Aleutians Disease Virus
- One should not panic about ADV; panic is harmful
- It's wise be aggressive in educating oneself about the prevention of ADV
  and its spread.
- ADV can live on sufaces for as long as two years
- Proper sanitization and usage of parvocides can prevent exposure
- Kits six weeks old and under have not been consistently known to give
  reliable test results
- ADV can be detected within two weeks of exposure (but its possible for
  an exposed ferret can be contagious before a test can show ADV exposure)
- There are different ADV tests... most are reliable (ELISA, CEP, etc).  A
  home test kit is now even available.
- A ferret may test negative if they are not "shedding the virus" at the
  time of the test.  Repeated testing is needed.
- A distemper vaccine can alter some forms of ADV testing when recent of
  each other.  (any one care to state the time period there?  I don't
  know this, so chime in if you know).

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/adv-straight.html