From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 09:11:36 -0400
I have response back to the person who asked about Tub Dog Eye Test &
Squeaky Toy.

SQUEAK!  SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

When a ferret mom is nursing her kits, her hearing range will temporarily
increase to include higher-pitched sounds so that she can hear the squeak
of her babies.  How a ferret's hearing changes as a results of aging on
what they hear as their eyesight worsens.

Ferrets react strongly to the sound of squeaky toys because squeaks are in
the range that a ferret can hear best: 8 to 12 kHz.  Many ferrets owner
train their ferrets to "come" to the sound of a squeaky toy.  In fact some
ferrets get very agitated and try to attack the squeakier and the person
squeaking.  Some people think that the reason ferret reacts so strongly
toys is that the toy sounds like a kit in distress.

You can use the squeaky toys only in emergencies-when you can't locate one-
or when you have to gather them quickly.

I read the above information for a Pets.Com: Ferrets Article ( I swear,
Mom, I didn't hear you say no by Erika Matulich.

[AP]