Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 05:06:26 -0500
I just had to put my .02 cents in on several posts:

>In the last nine months we have managed to get her up to about 80% usage
>outside of the cage.  The big problem is at night when she is in the cage
>with the other three ferrets.  We have a three-level Prevue-Hendrix cage
>with a litter pan on the bottom level.  The wire floor beneath the pan is
>protected by several heavy ceramic tiles.  If a human is standing in front
>of the cage Brickbat will usually go in the pan like she is supposed to.
>However, at night she just plants her butt in every corner and makes a
>disgusting mess.

Sweet Heaven, I have several ferrets that is they were 80% in the litterbox
ANYWHERE I would sing and danvce!  Seriously, cleaning up ferret poop is
part and parcel of owning a ferret.  If you can't stand that, then maybe
you should reconsider being owned by a ferret!  Even my best ferret,
Pepper, is only has about a 90% hit rate!  Several of the others have
about a 60% hit rate.  It is just something you have to live with!

Regarding dogs and ferrets:

I have Lhasa Apsos, I also do rescues for the Lhasas as well as having a
ferret shelter.  For the first several months I had ferrets, I kept the
dogs put up when the ferrets were out because my eldest has (in the past)
killed small furry and feathered critters.  Then I started putting them
together, supervised, of course.  Now they all get along very well.
Sometimes I think my personal dogs are confused and think they are ferrets!
BUT, with the rescues, I still SUPERVISE all contact for as long as I have
a concern.  And even with my best Lhasa, I would never leave the house
without putting someone in a different room.  Better safe than sorry!

I think almost any dog raised from a puppy will learn to get along with
ferrets.  If you get an olfer, rescue, it becomes a wait and see thing.  If
you do get a rescue, look into a breed rescue or private rescue.  Unlike
the SPCA, most private rescues can tell you about the persoality of the
dog you are considering.  BTW, for people with allergies, Lhasa Apso don't
shed.  They lose hair the same way humans do and their hair is very similar
to humans.  If you would like more info on Lhasa, let me know by private
email.

As to the puppies:

If they have been raised with the ferrets, there should not be a problem
later on.  BUT, things happen and you can never be 100% sure of any animal,
dog, ferret, cat or human!

Sorry for the length,  just had to get that off my chest!

Marta Towne
www.lhasas.org
Second Chance Animal Rescue (S.C.A.R.)
Lhasa Apso Rescue of Arkansas/Fuzzy Kisses Ferret Rescue